A very good ENGINEERING explanation of why analog can not be as good as digital..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzRvSWPZQYk

There will still be some flat earthers who refuse to believe it....
Those should watch the video a second or third time :-)
128x128cakyol
tomcy6 quotes Valin saying positive things about digital & so he does while simultaneously criticizing the same HW for major soundstaging issues that analog does not have, again proclaiming it is overall the better more truthful medium.
Someone else asks basically, why we cannot just enjoy the medium w/o comparing. We can & cannot simultaneously as our hobby has that as intrinsic. Like anything else - it’s a balance that must be struck. An eternally sought after sweet spot between both. Much as must be done everywhere else in life.
stl brings up a really slippery point that too many hide behind (I would not include him in this & view it as intriguingly though provoking).

What sounds good? What sounds best?
What’s the best way to reproduce music?
It’s all a matter of opinion and we’re all entitled to our opinions.

I’ve given this some thought over the years & just as there are guidelines & widespread agreement as to what makes great paintings great (in terms of composition, colour, texture, grace, spirit & much else conveyed among much else still) so too is it similar with audio. Subjectivity is not an excuse to let emotions run roughshod over the intuition. One is free to like the illustrations on hallmark cards - even preferring it to say, Rembrandt, Michelangelo & Van Gogh, but insisting others share your tastes is distinctly problematic. There are standards & while departing from them is an inevitability in audio - only to a degree. Valin often writes about the 3 types of listeners but always insists that anyone with any integrity in any type respects the preference of the others as long as it adheres to some kind of agreed-upon truthfulness.
This many years after the cd was forced upon us, I have yet to hear a "normal" cd of solo piano that gave me as complete an aural image as many recordings have on vinyl, clicks and pops notwithstanding. That said, the SACD version of Keith Jarrett's Sun Bear has come closest, but that's 35 years of development later...

I have the Keith Jarrett piano live performance.  Sounds live on my Ethernet driven DAC system.  More live than anything I have heard at ANY tradeshow or showroom.  Most exhibitors shy away from playing piano in their rooms because they know it will show all of their system warts.  I play piano recordings at every show.

It also sounds live played on my Oppo with the Synchro-Mesh reclocking it.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Recently I've made an experiment.
I've run DSotM Mfsl uhqr record on Sony PS-X9 connected to Exclusive C7 preamp with rec out1 connected to Studer D19m AD.
It's digital output was connected to Sony 703 das.

C7 rec out2 and Sony das analog output were connected to Stax headphone amp with SR009. Then I've done A/B switching headphone preamp input.

It was a difference but the difference between analog and SACD/CD versions was huge. So I've made the conclusion - the digital is not so bad but the problem is CD/SACD mastering.

PS: Tidal is just no comments - CD/SACD or HD tracks files is far better.