Audio Research SP-5

After an absence of many years I am looking to get back into the stereo game again. I’m starting with a pair of Dynaco Mk III mono amps and now looking for a suitable preamp with a phono stage (most important). Trying to keep my budget to $1,000-$1,500 and looking at the Conrad Johnson Classic 2 (tube) or the ARC SP-5 (SS). I’d like to hear some opinions if you have experience with either preamp, or maybe both! Or if you have other suggestions I’m open to that too.

Thanks for reading and giving me your thoughts.
slumpbusters
The SP4 and 5 were among the WORST sounding preamps of their era! Irritating, bright, edgy highs (that some mistook for "definition"!). About as bad as a Dyna PAS 4! No wonder that ARC quickly stopped production! All of their SS gear from the late Seventies sounded poor - compared to PS Audio, Hafler, Audionics, RGR ... Avoid the SP5 and buy an SP6 or later tube preamp - up to the SP15 (the "magic" is there!).
I have an SP6 for use with my Paoli - Dyna MkIII's. An excellent combination! Competitive sonically with today's expensive tube gear!