Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Keithr- I can do the TotalDAC demo whenever I want. But I don’t want to start it until I know I can give it the time it deserves. And work has been crazy. It will come in time. I promise. 
Matt - This is Dave - your neighbor Mike's friend....
A few weeks ago you asked for recommendations for 5 songs used to test DACs - here are 6 that I use....
#1   Four Until Late (Cream - Those Were The Days)#2   Rock My Plimsoul (Jeff Beck - Truth)#3   All Of You (Bill Evans - Solar)#4   Who Knows - (Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys)#5   Maggot Brain - (Funkadelic - Maggot Brain)
#6   Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major - (Janos Starker - Suites for Solo Cello)

Every cellist plays that last one, but no one plays it like Starker did...And ignore the first 30 seconds of #5.
Maybe not to your taste, but I'm listening for something specific in each of these songs.  I'm using a heavily modded Audio Note DAC.
Dave
Hey Dave. Mikes spoken highly of your system!!!

Could you throw your favorites on a CD or thumb drive and send to Mike? That’d be awesome!

You HAVE to hear his Pipedreams with the new Merrill 118 monoblocks and Christine pre-amp!!! Merrill and I spent 2 hours fine tuning his speaker position and his crossover adjustments. It was transformational!!! With the 118 amps, his room is exceptional!!! Like sit and listen all day long exceptional!!

Glad to meet you and look forward to your input. Please describe your DAC and mod’s. 
Matt,
Yes, I'll get a copy of them to Mike.  He raved about the new gear and I can't wait to hear it.

My DAC started off as an Audio Note Kit.  At the time it was their highest, a 4.1LE.

AD1865 R2R chipAudio Note C core output transformersAudio Note copper foil capacitorsBlack Gate electrolytic caps 
I built it up and used it unchanged for about 1 year.  Then I read about possible mods and I started experimenting.  Over the last 3-4 years, I've changed a lot:
I've upgraded the output and I/V transformers to those in an Audio Note (finished product) DAC5 Special.  The power supply side is now lifted from an Audio Note M8 preamp.  I upgraded the capacitors to Jensen silver foil and now there are Black Gate caps in every possible location
And the most recent mod is really cool.  Since this is a tube DAC, I turn it off every night.  The new mod powers the digital board even when the power is switched off.  So the digital board is always powered.  I did this back in July.   When the DAC is on the power light is red - when it is "off" the power light switches to amber.

I did each of these mods at different times and I waited a few months to make sure I liked the results. 

It started at about $3,800 and now I'm probably close to $10k after all the mods.  When I brought it to Mike's, we both thought it held up well against his EMM DA2. 

When I was in high school I remember reading an article in Road & Track about a guy in Germany that modded an early 80s VW Rabbit with Porsche suspension parts and engine from a 928S.  Then he'd drive around on the autobahn and mess with people in his "Rabbit".  If feel like this is what I have now.  It is just an ugly black box, but it sure does sound great.
I'll bring it next time I come over to Mike's...
Dave
Accurate IS musical.

My $0.02, try the Nagra transport DAC combo with their own power supply. C'est Suisse et c'est tres tres precis.

Another example from analog, a two track half inch Studer A80 running Agfa 468 is flat from 20 to 20 Khz and is extremely musical. Extremely.