AV setup with LS50

I just bought a pair of LS50 and need some help with finding a nice but good value home theatre setup. As I am based in Japan, I have easy access to Japanese amps, etc. I will be using it in a small apartment, in a 2 channel setup. Source will be PC and TV.

How does the following options look?
Marantz NR1609:http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=NR1609
Number of Poweramps 7
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 50 W
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)70 WPower Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)100 W

Onkyo TX-NR686 https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR686&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
240 W (3 Ohms, Front)
210 W (4 Ohms, Front)
120 W (8 Ohms, Front)

Yamaha RX-A880
https://jp.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a880/specs.html#product-tabs
20Hz-20kHz、2ch: 100W/ch(6Ω、0.06%THD)

Open to suggestions/feedbacks thanks.

fustyler
Fustyler, are you intending to just use your system for just 2-channel listening and watching? Are you looking to upgrade to a 4.1 or 5.1 setup in the future? If you don't need the extra channels I would suggest buying a 2-channel integrated amplifier. Your source would connect directly to your TV and then use an optical out to your integrated amp. That way the amp controls the sound and your source controls the material, no need for all of the AV options if listening in 2-channel.

I own the LS50s, and they require more power than 50 watts from an AV receiver to really sing. 2 channel receivers will sound significantly better at the price point you are considering.

I started with a yamaha A-S501 which offers 85 watts per channel and would give more headroom to your LS-50s. Its a nice entry level amplifier that has plenty of connectivity.

Another good question to ask is the size of your space. It sounds like you are using the speakers for a media set up that isn't near-field. Again this requires more power. I really love the speakers and I think most people run into issues with them because they are both very revealing up upstream equipment quality and require a lot of power to sound confident and in control.

My current setup is 4.1.I use a marantz sr-5010 for my rear speakers, and then run pre-out cables to a separate power amp (red dragon s500) for my LS50's which has 250 watts per channel. For 2-channel listening, I plug my source directly into my power amp via a passive volume control.

It's taken a while to figure out what sounds best for my system, but I am quite happy with how it has turned out. Of course, purchasing both an AV amp and a power/integrated amp costs $$. Again I suggest starting with 2-channel and moving to a surround setup later when you can afford rear speakers and an AV amp. Make sure you eventually choose A/V receiver with pre-out lines for your front speakers. I believe the maratnz nr-1609 does have front speaker pre-out lines.

Happy to answer any questions!
Thanks for the feedback AJ.

To give more information, the apartment is only 40square meters, and the lounge area where this is used is around 15 square meters. For now I will only be using it in a 2 channel setup, though this may change later on if I see a need to upgrade to 5 channel (or if I move to a bigger place)

Any thoughts on the Onkyo TX NR686? It claims to do 100W per channel in a 2 channel setup.

All Channels:
100 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC)
210 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 Channel Driven)

Dynamic power:
240 W (3 Ohms, Front)
210 W (4 Ohms, Front)
120 W (8 Ohms, Front)

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR686&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
So I think it’s important to as yourself what’s most important to you, especially at this budget. I know it’s hard to understand but based on my experience and many other users on this forum, a 2 channel amp will have a better sound quality than similarly priced multi channel avr at this price point, and generally well above it. Think of it this way, look at the list of features and the fact that the unit is designed to drive 7 channels compared to something the same price without the bells and whistles (like the Yamaha I posted about before) designed to drive 2 channels. The result will be cleaner power. I’m my experience, 1 watt from an avr does not measure to 1 watt from a good 2 channel amp. If you’re really sold on starting with an avr it’s important to understand all of the manufacturers specs. 

It’s always a challenge to look at manufacturers specs and really understand what they are telling you. Take the unit you pasted about above. The 100 wpc is a nice amount of power, however what you would want for the ls50s is an amplifier that ideally doubles or comes close to doubles the power from 8 ohms to 4 ohms because a lot of the low bass output from the speakers falls in the 4 ohm region (look up Stereophile’s measurements for the ls50s and you might be able to see what I’m talking about). What that means is that it’s harder for an amplifier to drive the speaker for the low frequency part of the audio spectrum. Be careful, the unit you posted claims 210 watts into one channel at 6 ohms with a massive 10% distortion, which to me seems like it would be for a center channel and not your front channels. It’s hard for me to tell without digging too far into reviews. 

I really dont don’t have a huge amount of experience in choosing avr’s because I’ve chosen to focus on the fantastic ability of the ls50s to develop a 2 channel system. My surround setup came after.

Based on the speakers you’ve chosen, I would take advantage of that as well, there is just so much potential there that would be a shame to waste. That’s just my opinion based on my experiences which shouldn’t be taken as the only opinion out there.

I’d be happy to help evaluate anything else you can dig up and try my best to give you some advice. 

Happy hunting!
Let me just add that the yamaha a-s501 does not have the capability to use a home theater bypass setting like I am using in my current setup. That type of setting would bypass volume setting on the amplifier that you are using for your front two channels and letting you control the volume from the avr. Its a little hard to grasp, think of it as the 2-channel amplifier only providing the power and letting the avr control how loud the speakers play.

If you wanted to upgrade to a surround sound setup, it would include a greater effort and larger investment to get there from the yamaha. The first unit that I encountered with home theater bypass was peachtree's nova 150, which is beyond what you're looking at currently. With a quick look, the marantz pm8005 has a home theater bypass setting. If you can stretch your budget a little that might be a viable option. The unit claims 70 wps into 8ohms and 100 wpc into 4ohms. I personally think that yamaha's wpc statistics are exaggerated and I would bet that the marantz has more muscle. However I have never heard the marantz, just based on online reviews.

Its challenging to find a balance between features and quality.  For the price of the marantz there are other 2-channel amps that I would recommend if you were not interested in a surround setup. Hopefully I haven't made this sound too complicated. It really comes down to your priorities and what you are interested in. If you really don't see yourself expanding to surround until you move, I strongly recommend a 2 channel setup (you can still add a sub for home theater) if you are looking to get the best quality from your LS-50s that your money can afford.