Should 2nd. Buyer Receive Guarantee ?

Some manufacturers like Cary an CJ to name two make great stuff but they refuse to honor any remaining warrantee to 2ed. buyer. I think that sucks ! It certainly reduces the potential selling price for anyone wishing to sell relatively new stuff. Does this upset anyone else or do you think it is justified ?
stokjoc
As a manufacturer, I can see good reason to discontinue warranty to 2nd owner. There are just too many places for a dishonest person to take advantage of transferable warranty. Companies that transfer warranty are probably builing into the cost of the product enough $ to allow continued support of the product past the typical ownership cycle (should it be shorter than the warranty period). In reality, a quality product should only ever need minor repair ... I consider any product that I need to use the warranty for a faulty design or lemon example of a good design. 'Nuf said.
I respectfully disagree with Slingshot. The warranty period represents that period where, in the opinion of the manufacturer, nothing should go wrong due to manufacturing defects or part failure. That is a term of the purchase. When that failure occurs during the warranty period, the manufacturer should fix it, whether there has been one owner, two owners or more. The warranty does not cover abuse, or "normal" wear and tear. It covers defects, which, unless a manufacturer has a zero error rate during manufacture, sometimes happens. I understand that having a transferable warranty may make it more likely that there will be a warranty repair, but if the manufacturer stands behind its product for a year or two or whatever, that should be independent of the identity of the owner.
Speaking of which, according to one Krell dealer who advertises often, Krell has discontinued their policy of honoring transferred warranties. I still see many people advertise their Krell gear as "warranty transferable" which I don't believe is true any more. I have praised Krell in the past for honoring the warranty (quickly and efficiently) and I think it's a big black mark against them that they no longer do, though I know many companies don't. -Kirk
I live an hour from Conrad Johnson by car. I once brought my MF2100 amp there because one channel went out. I was the second owner. I provided them with no ownership information, nor did they ask for any. They replaced a couple fuses and did a complete system check of the amp to make sure it was up to specifications, and to make sure nothing faulty cause the fuses to blow. They shipped it back to my house (in a new box!) so I would not have to drive over (weekday) to pick it up. The bill for this: $0.00

I doubt they offer this as a free service. They probably checked the serial number to determine the age and since it was within the warranty period, they did not charge me. The written policy of no warranty transfers is probably to limit their potential liability, however depending on the situation will fix things without too much fuss.

When you see factory "refurbished" items for sale at various auction sites like Ubid.com it ususally comes with a lesser warranty (90 days instead of a couple years). Some of these items are new. They sell them on clearance / closeout as refurbished so they can increase their profits on the fire sale by shortening warranty period.