Blu-Ray HD Audio Coding, worth $1000 Upgrade?

Just when I thought I had it all I realized that with the rise of Blu-Ray there are now new Surround Codings such as DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO that my tuner won't process to the full capacity of the coding. DTS-HD can, "This bit stream is so fast and the transfer rate so high that it can deliver 7.1 audio channel, 96k/24-bit sound identical to the original studio master." (From DTS.com)
I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX80-TXV with 110 watts a channel (AB amplifier) running Paradigm Studio 60V2's bi-amped, Titans in the rear, CC170 Center, and a JL Audio Fathom 113 sub with PS3 doing Blu-ray duty.
I am considering the Pioneer SC05 Tuner with is 130 watts Class D amplification, and of course it does the DTS-HD as well as a couple of other new codecs that I don't know about. It also can upscale non 1080P source information as well, whereas the VSX is only 1080P video pass through.

It is about $1000 upgrade after selling off my old tuner and Pioneer Elite DVD player that I don't use anymore.
My system is used 40% Movies, 40% HDTV, 20% Music.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or alternative theories are gladly accepted!

christian_coach
It looks like you have a $1000 jones to upgrade your system. The Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV is an entry-level (for Elite, that is) receiver that has/had an MSRP of $650. THe SC 05 has an MSRP of nearly three times that. If you want to stick with Pioneer Elite, I guess a $1K upgrade is the way to go, but there are more economical ways to get the functionality you say you want.

You can go about this two different ways: 1) Get a Blu-ray player that has internal decoding for all the new lossless codecs and plug the player's 7.1 analog outputs into the 7.1 (or 5.1) analog inputs that your Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV undoubtedly has. 2) Get a new AV receiver that supports HDMI 1.3a and decodes the new codecs. You don't have to spend $1500 to do that.

For solution 1, you could get a Panasonic DMP BD35K if you only need 5.1 channels, or the Panasonic DMP BD55K if you need 7.1. You can get the BD35K for as low as $244 at Amazon.com. Other low-cost players with built-in decoding include the Sony BDP-S550 at around $341 and the Pioneer BDP-51FD at $414 @ Amazon.com.

For solution 2, you could get the Onkyo TX-SR706 with 100 wpc for $488.61. Onkyo has led the way in implementing full support for HDMI 1.3a and decoding the lossless codecs. In fact Onkyo's TX-SRx06 product line is their second generation of HDMI 1.3a products. If you want more power go with the 130wpc TX-SR806 beast instead for $619.99 at Amazon.com.

By the time you sell your Elite receiver, you're looking at a $300 solution with the TX-SR806, not $1000, and you're doing it with more power, from a company that has been successfully making full HDMI 1.3a products for nearly two years.

I have an Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp for my LP-based 2-channel rig and I love it. Their WRAT technology makes for a clean, fast amp with very low noise floor and wide frequency extension, and yet not a hint of harshness. And speed, clarity, and a low noise floor are exactly what's needed for HT.
Post removed 
If I am not mistaken, your pioneer elite already has hdmi imputs, and the PS3 decodes the new formats internaly. So, your already there.
Shiva,
I had the same thought, but my "new guy" where I shop didn't agree. Can someone else shine some light on this?

I actually have noticed that when I run a Blu-Ray that has DTS-HD and set my Tuner to Auto Surround, that the tuner chooses Stereo!

I always have a jones to upgrade my HT. I have a $2,000 set aside, but the less I spend on this upgrade, the more I have for later upgrades! I have to do things in small steps to keep in the good graces of my wife. My "new guy" where I shop (My old guy got out of the business) is encouraging me to go this direction next.

I only use 5.1, no place for additional speakers, and it allows me to Bi-Amp my Studio 60's.

I will definently be looking at some of the Tuners you all have mentioned.