Audio as a weapon

I would like to deviate a bit from the normal audio equipment conversation and delve into the phenomenon of the recent audio "weapon" that appears to have been deployed in Cuba upon State Department employees and now, it appears, in China. I know that very low frequency can be dreadful to listen to but anyone out there have any ideas with regard to how audio could be used as a weapon? It is not my intention to draw speculation of a political nature, I am only interested in the technical aspect of audio as a "weapon". Anyone have any thoughts?
128x128falconquest
Post removed 
@geoffkait It may have been a writer who was not writing for Audio during WWII, but who did write for them later. I used to be a subscriber to Audio and I believe it is in this magazine that I read the story.

Yes, his idea was describing sonar, but he did not name it as such at the time, it had no such name in the public domain.

As I recall the story, the US navy was already working on or using sonar, but the Audio writer did not know it. He just wrote an article and published it saying it would be a clever idea, which caused some branch of the US to interview him at length about how he came to his ideas.
Post removed 
Elizabeth- I am sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.?!?? But yes, getting back to the OP question audio can and has been used as a weapon of influence and of war. No one should doubt that.
Absolutely, quantum physics is showing that everything in the universe is energy, so on the sub-atomic level we do not find matter we find only energy. This pure energy or light is everything comprised in universe and is resonating at a different speeds. Everything you see or touch is vibrating at one frequency or another including yourself. As dekay's article points out Intermodulation distortion occurs when two signals having different frequencies combine to produce synthetic signals at the difference, sum, or multiples of the original frequencies. A very smart way of saying somebody has come up with sum of frequencies to damage and make a human sick...
A quick google search of "heavy metal guantanamo" will give you play lists of music used in "enhanced interrogation."