Velodyne Digital Drive Series subwoofer in stereo

Hi, I've been very interested in running two subwoofers in stereo (diff. signals to each subwoofer); I've heard many people swear by this setup.

My next room for my system will be 14' x 14' x 18' high ceiling loft living room. My question is, will two DD10 be enough to fill the room with organ music and scare me out of my seat for movie tracks? Should I move up to two DD12s? Money is not really an issue, but I'd like to save wherever I can.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
spacekadet
Hi Sailfishben,

A single DD15 or DD18 would be nice but I'm really interested in running two subs in stereo. When I say stereo, I don't mean two subs daisy chained to each other receiving the same LFE signal, but two subs receiving different left and right channel signals.
My understanding is low frequency is basically non-directional so I'm wondering what the point is to use it in stereo? I know the sound stage created in my system has plenty of low end response and the low end seems to come from within the soundstage but certainly not from the corner of the room where the sub is actually located.

Wouldn't you have to run the speaker cables to the sub and then to the speakers, creating some long runs not to mention great expense for extra cabling? Although I wonder if you couldn't just use the r/l tape output (assuming they are not used already) letting the sub's crossover do its work on the signal.

Hi Sailfishben,

Well, I have never personaly experienced two subwoofers setup receiveing separate stereo signals. But I've heard from people who say it makes a big difference.

I figured I'd buy couple of subwoofers to try it out and A/B test it w/ a single subwoofer, and then sell the extra subwoofer if there is no significant difference.

As for actually hooking up cables, my McIntosh C45 preamp is perfect. For stereo inputs, it can simultaneously provide THREE (two XLR balanced, one unbalanced) outputs. I connect the preamp to my amp via XLR connection and will use the other L & R XLR outputs for the subwoofers.
Please repost after you do your experiment. I'm interested in the results. Thinking of changing my Adire Rava with either 2 Velodyne DD or the new REL Britannia. Speakers Dynaudio S1.4, amp Plinius 102, Preamp Supratek, TT REGa Denon/ DL103