More speakers for sale than other componenet. Y?

There are more speakers for sale on AudiogoN than other component, except for cables (1512 - 1606). And even that is very close.

I understand why there are so many cables for sale (High profit margin), but it just struck me as odd, because speakers are often thought of as the cornerstone of a system. Aren't most systems built around a good set of speakers?

Maybe that's why there are so many companies trying for that niche?

In my case, I have had the same pair of speakers for about 10 years (Alon I), and I have completely replaced the electronics and cables. Some more than once.

What is your opinion/experience?

Brad
bday0000
Just a guess, but I'd venture that on the basis of the commonly held belief that a speaker is the most important component, people keep replacing speakers as they seek the ideal sound. In most cases, this doesn't yield the expected results because system synergy is lacking or room acoustic deficiencies prevail. It's conceptually easier to imagine fixing aural defiencies with this or that new speaker which we hope will correct things rather addressing the complicated issue of system compatability.
What Photon46 sez is true. Most folks just dump speakers rather than seek synergy/component matching. That's OK. More bargains for us that work the system!

Best,

Paul :-)
I sort of agree with Photon46's comments, but would add that most folks can more easily hear the difference between speakers than they can between the electronic's. When seeking an improvement in their system thats the easiest item to address. Reality sets in when they have high quality speakers and lousy (relatively) sound and then they have to learn about the differences that their electronic's and set up can make. Beemer is right, its all about synergy.
A twist on the same ideas is maybe too many people put way too much stock in speakers and not enough on the more important componants, so when the system still doesn't sound good they rush off for the next pair of speakers rather than fixing the problem.

Or maybe i this is like all the rest of the absurd "why are there so many_____for sale" questions, and it's because they were soo many sold!