Best Vintage Speakers?

I'm a big high value vintage guy. Technology is good, but considering the recent comeback of tube amps, I'm wondering if anybody has any experience buying older speakers. What have you bought that rivals or surpasses newer models for a fraction of their new cost?
128x128gfields
Devon,
I have a pair of 1977 Tannoy 15s (HPD 385A with Alnico magnets) I hear they work best in open baffles or infinite baffles. Mine are in the Arden reflex enclosures. I am not very happy with the sound, even after replacing the HF in line caps with copper foil in oil and replacing all internal wiring. The highs, in particular, are crude sounding. Do you have a new crossover design or any tips you could pass on to improve sound?? I am on the point of replacing them with PHY open baffle or even Fertin open baffle. I have also considered the Bastanis Prometheus Airforce.
Russell Dawkins
Apogee Scintilla - when driven by the right amp on the 1 ohm tap, there really isn't much out there that gets as much right with as little wrong as these.
Took the words right out of my mouth, Dschultz, and boy, do I and Baranyi
have the right amps. Can I have an amen! Bob?
I'd have to include Wharfedale W60D; I found a pair on Cr*list, $125.00, they just needed new caps. For a small to medium room. I carefully drilled two holes in the bottom fronts and spiked them, towed them in so the inner speaker is just missing that side's ear (on my head). At least 10 feet away, actually a very decent soundstage, I'd never really heard a well-reproduced organ until these.