Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Sloryder, judging from your post, I sincerely hope that you'll be with us, and post on a regular basis.

I have all of the artists, (except Allan Holdsworth) and most of the albums you posted in my collection.

I'm looking forward to your next post.

Frogman, you're wrong right off the bat; first all, there is no one "African rhythm", there are more different African rhythms than you can shake a stick at, some of them are in Brazil, but no longer in Africa.

You have to know something about slavery in order to know about African drumming; that's because Africa is a continent, and not a country. Before slavery, there were villages and tribes, not countries. The drummers were primarily for the different dances they did in the villages after supper. If you recall "Roots", Kunta Kente spoke of the "village" he was from, not the country.

According to Roots, Kunta Kinte was born circa 1750 in the Mandinka village of Juffure, in the Gambia. One day in 1767, while Kunta was searching for wood to make a drum for his younger brother, four men chased him, surrounded him, and took him captive.
Kunta Kinte - Wikipedia

There is dance that goes with the drumming from that village; it is still done today.

There were countless villages that left Africa on that long boat ride to "The Americas". Some villages were transported to "The Americas", and what ever existed in them, no longer resides in Africa; but can be found in "Bahia" in Brazil.

"Capoeira" rhythms in Brazil are most fascinating; check out "Zum Zum Zum";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZPiZ59lME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H0D8VaIli0

Frogman, you present the most erroneous stuff in such a positive fashion that I almost believe it.

After your response, we should get back to what this thread was intended to be about; which means that I'll only respond if it's something a "jazz aficionado" can use.

Mary_jo, this thread was began for people like yourself, who are trying to build their jazz collections. We have a new "aficionado" who has just posted some of the most important artists and albums in jazz. If you go to "you tube" and check some of those, you will discover what artist you favor the most, or which album you like the best, and we can advise you on what to purchase.

Looking to hear from you.

Alex, I've purchased some of the albums you posted, and nothing can affirm more of what one aficionado thinks about another aficionado's taste, than the purchase of an album he either recommends or posts.

Keep those posts coming.

Frogman, although we have our disagreements, that doesn't diminish how important you are to this thread, and I never forget it.