401 birch or slate?

What sounds better as a plinth for a Garrard 401? Birch ply or 30mm slate?

128x128noromance
@noromance 
I would describe the improvement of the AF idler wheel as similar to a cartridge upgrade - the higher frequencies were more detailed, more nuanced. There were also improvements in coherency and musical timing.
When we upgraded to the Artisan Fidelity idler wheel, the 401 had already been refurbished by Audio Grail, in other words the AF idler replaced a refurbished standard idler wheel in good condition. The 401 in question also had had an upgraded platter and bearing from Peak Audio which had yielded a massive ( not hyperbole ) improvement in musical timing.

Thank you. Was it difficult to fit? Do you use the original bushes? As you know, my new 401 is also an AG version. Early flat window, twin spark.
@noromance 
Drop in replacement. Undo 2 screws holding the top of the idler, lift out the idler wheel and drop in the replacement - literally 2 minute job. Drop a little oil on the spindle ( top and bottom ) to avoid any scouring. The bushes in the 401 were in good shape.

As an aside I have a 301 rebuild on the go and the new sintered bushes from Audio Silente look very good. I have purchased both motor bushes and idler bushes but have not installed these yet. Their idler is a good price but not in the same league as the AF.

@dover Spoke to Matthew at AG who recommended the AS version so I ordered one for the AG/slate 401. If it makes an improvement, I’ll consider the AF one and move the AS version to my birch-ply 401. Thanks and good luck with the 301.

Post removed