Suggestions for streaming equipment

streaming newbie here so please pardon my ignorance...i used to listen to analog exclusively, but now have started listening to CDs more due to convenience.  i'd now like to venture into streamed music software as a source.  current equipment is as follows:

analog: clearaudio max solution w/ dynavector 507 arm/xv1s cart and graham 2.2/zyx airy cart
digital: wadia 861
preamp: manley steelhead (feeding amps directly)
amps: pass xa160
speakers: wp 7

what i'd like to do, if possible, is to connect the streaming device to the wadia 861 and use the 861's DAC.  is this possible?  if so, which streaming equipment would you recommend?

appreciate your thoughts.
ca2284

The cheap way to get nice results is the Raspberry Pi for $40 (Amazon) and the Allo DigiOne (Allo in India) for $100 and a SD card for $10. It’s a 2-board stack with connectors. You can put it in a box, or not. They make lots of plastic boxes for this.

There are lots of instructions online to load the OS, DietPi onto the board and program the board from any computer on the network using an app called PuTTY. Google these. All free downloads. You don’t have to be a programmer to do this.

This will give you BNC and RCA outputs to your DAC. You can load DLNA driver from DietPi and Roon Bridge. Then you can use Roon, Jriver or Audirvana + to send music files to it.

The result is quite good, although not quite as musical as my outboard Ethernet renderer which costs $3K. How can you lose for $150?

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

The sound quality is not in the streamer but in the DAC, and you already have that in your disc player. I have said it before and I will say it again that dedicated streamers are a bad idea. The manufacturer will have to supply an app for each and every service, and that is unlikely to happen. Similarly, services are unlikely to produce apps for all the different streamers on the market. There are only two ways out of this. The first is to use a computer. The second is to use mass produced and therefore universal streamers like the Apple Airport or the Chromecast Audio, and particualry their digital outputs. The good news is that these are excellent, convenient, and dirt cheap.