Video for Movie Room

I'm looking for a new video display for a room that will be used for movies, games, etc. I would prefer not to have to have complete darkness at all times, so I wonder if projectors are out?? I'm interested in budget projectors as well as large rear projection tvs. I need 55+ inches. Budget is $1800 or less and used if fine.

Thanks

JWH
jamesw20
Unfortunatly all front projectors will wash out the picture to some degree;(understated). This refers to your blacks and all dark scenes. While LCD displays have come down in price and up in quality 1800 for a 55" display might make you happy as long as you don't spend any time with a quality 5k display.i.e.There is a reason they cost more.
I have a Sony VPL VW 100 LCD projector. I've seen them on Audiogon for +/- $1500. New I paid $7500 years ago. If you have some type of window covering...like blinds etc. It'll look fine, not it's best, but sufficient. I have mine zoomed out to 100inches, 55 inches will get you a little brighter pic.

Football games etc, during the day, I don't mind it at all...HD looks terrific on this projector...