Mid price receiver

Trying to help out a friend. What's a decent 400$-500$ receiver that has side outputs for the surrond? I was looking at some Yamahas but couldn't see side outputs.
Thanks.
homer
Thanks Reubent. I mean "side" when I say "side", much like the outputs that I have on my Lexicon decoder. 7.1 would be the proper term I surmise.
I just picked up the Harmon Kardon AVR 240 for my home theater setup, and it is amazing. I started with an Onkyo TX-SR304 which had a really nice sound to it (only 5.1 setup) and switched to a Sony STR-DG800 for the extra rear surround outputs (7.1 setup). It turns out that the Sony sounded so much worse than the Onkyo that I had to return it and get something else. I opted for the Harmon Kardon AVR 240 which has a 7.1 setup, and it even sounds way better than the Onkyo.

It's affordable, and I can vouch that it sounds amazing. It's only rated at 50 watts per channel, but that's an honest continuous power rating that will produce PLENTY of high quality sound in that price range.
Homer,

Take a look at this link from Dolby Labs:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

As I stated earlier, Dolby intends the primary surround speakers to be at the side location. So, in DD 5.1, the speakers are L, C, R and L side, R side. For 6.1, you add a center back speaker and for 7.1 you add a L back and R back.

In the instance of your Lexicon, they went a step further and actually labeled the surround outputs as "side", which is where Dolby recommends the primary surround speakers be placed.. However, in my experience, this is not typical. Typically HT receiver manufacturers label the default surround outputs as "surround" L and "surround "R". This would correspond to the ones marked "side" L and "side" R on your Lexicon.

If the receiver supports additional channels of processing/amplification, they are typically marked as "surround back" for 6.1 channel receivers and "surround back L" and surround back R" for 7.1 receivers.

Sorry I've replied so late, but this may also help folks who search the topic in the future.

Enjoy,

TIC
I managed to get a Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1 system for approx. $300 bucks + ship (though the site where I got the price no longer sells at this price)...

Check around through one of the shopper sites and see what you can find!

Be sure whomever you go with is honest!

Good luck!