Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp

So if this inter-sample overs effect happens only on peaks, why do I hear differences even in low-level signals?

I think the SQ issue with upsamplers, albeit small, has to do with hardware implementation of upsamplers.  Doing it is S/W seems to deliver better SQ.  I use Izotope, supposedly the best S/W resampler, and the SQ is usually great, better than the original.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@audioengr 

All the problems will be low level as the digital hash from inter-sample overs may not be audible until just after the transient. A bit like amplifier clipping where you don't hear problems on the transient itself as much as the distortion over everything else musical going on (harshness in the mid range in particular).

The last link is to a plot showing what looks like typical low level clipping distortion - distortion is low (about  60 to 100 db down) but it is broadband right across the entire spectrum which makes it very likely to be audible as harshness or glare. Notice that there is actually a distortion peak at 80Hz - and we all know that an 80Hz tone lasts an eternity compared to mid range stuff - so even if the transient is a cymbal crash at 11 KHz - you have distortion smeared broadband over at least 1/80 secs (1 cycle of 80 Hz) or more than 12 msec (which is a lot).

So, if the track is recorded at low-level so that no clipping occurs after upsampling, there will be none of this effect?

Steve N.

Wow!!!!

OK. Light Harmonic Davinci 2 vs Boulder 2120 DAC/server. Both are crazy expensive. The Boulder is crazy expensive times two!!! Both are world class and just amazing. The differences are comparing Ferrari and Lamborghini (Bugatti?) so there are no losers here.

I’ve only had two solid listening sessions with both units broken in. Here’s my initial impressions:

To be honest, I’m baffled. I’ve never had a hard time comparing gear before. I typically deduce which is better for my system in one session; 30minutes to 3 hours. I’ve had two full sessions and plan on a third this Wednesday. I called in a panel of people to help me confirm or refute the differences I think I hear. A pair of ears I trust felt the Boulder superior during my initial listening session.

Jury is out. The Boulder is fan’damn’tastic! It’s natural and seams to remove a veil I didn’t know existed. But when I go back to the Davinci 2 I get a fullness that I like. Is the bass a bit sloppier on the Davinci 2, or it the Boulder a touch overly analytical? My issue is that I can’t tell whether the Boulder is thin or perfect.

I have some friends coming over Wednesday. I think I may like the Boulder more, but I can’t tell if it’s better or just different. But at $65k it should be WAY better. I know, law of diminishing returns and all. But $65k !!!!!

Interestingly, N10 is WAY better as a source compared to playing usb stick directly through the Boulder’s renderer!!! But Boulder is working on integrating Roon via Ethernet; which should be way better.

Sonically, the Boulder is SO accurate. SO correct. So clean. SO detailed. Every time I listen to it, it sounds like the performer is in the room with me; almost eerie.

I came up with the thought that with the Boulder in, it sounds like I’m in the recording studio proper, with the performers. With the Davinci 2 it sounds like I’m in the mixing room. One is cleaner, the other more full and balanced.

I just can’t decide if it’s SO.... or TOO..... I’m leaning towards SO.... but I need others to confirm since I’m on the proverbial fence.

The Davinci 2 is mind blowingly good! So for the Boulder to be “better” is sort of boggling my mind. Is it possible? Or am I just willing it to be ?

Stay tuned for more opinions and confirmations.

I also have my $55k fully loaded Memory Player finally coming in two weeks. Can’t wait to compare that to the N10, which has beaten all who have challenged it.

Good times!!!!
@mattnshilp   The majority of you post is about the Boulder. I say that (may) be all you need to know. Good times, indeed.