Best practices when conducting a DAC comparison

Reaching out for general advice on how Agoners have compared DACs in their own systems.....

....and how you have determined the 'better' or the 'preferred' component, based on your comparison.

This will be my first in-depth comparison.

Feel free to mention whatever you believe will help and stuff I may need to look out for / be aware of.

Thank You.
david_ten
@gdhal 

Got it. No, I don't want to mess with Mr. Zhao's flagship work!. : )

My main output is USB from a Sonore Signature Rendu SE.

I'll primarily be focused on comparing the USB input between all DACs.
@muzikmann  Yes, especially the Terminator. The manufacturer advises 300-500 hours; and yes I know how some feel about this. : )

As @toddverrone mentions in his post, spending time with the components will also help accomplish this.

I will start with the critical listening for the Terminator towards the end of November. I'll energize and run signal through it 24/7 until that time.

I'll also keep the Yggy and the Comet energized. 
You are certainly being thorough.. I'm interested to hear what you find. Keep us posted!
Post removed 
Thanks, Todd. I think you will appreciate what follows.

My main concern is that my current system has been (mostly) optimized with the Schiit Yggdrasil within it. I struggle with this very issue in the comparisons and component evaluations I read, whether professionally done or owner based.

I’m especially concerned about cabling.

I recently completed a USB cable comparison. It was difficult yet very educational. I’m well aware that the cable I found to perform best to my preferences and goals may not match as well or deliver the same outcome with the Denafrips DAC (again to my preferences).

For example, I chose the Cardas Clear Reflection XLR ICs for my headphone system. They are performing very well in the 2ch system, but the choice was made for a different application and goals. Would another brand of cable or moving up the Cardas line-up be a better fit for my 2ch system, with the Yggdrasil in it? For me, the answer is likely.

The ’million’ dollar question (for me):

........ is using the same cabling across the different DACs the best way forward?

OR

........ is it better to compare optimized systems, with the components standing on their own within them?

I believe the second approach has a greater degree of fairness in terms of determining endpoint differences and performance preferences. It, of course, is not nearly as practical or financially feasible.

[Note: At a minimum optimizing around the power and signal cables in and out of the DAC is a somewhat more viable option]

I realize we have a number of Audiogoners who find none to minor differences between cabling. I respect this. Further, keeping the cables identical will make the process straightforward and much, much easier for me.

For those of you that do find cabling an important piece, I’d love to hear your approach to this. Thoughts? Thanks.