Best practices when conducting a DAC comparison

Reaching out for general advice on how Agoners have compared DACs in their own systems.....

....and how you have determined the 'better' or the 'preferred' component, based on your comparison.

This will be my first in-depth comparison.

Feel free to mention whatever you believe will help and stuff I may need to look out for / be aware of.

Thank You.
david_ten
@audioengr 

Steve, great points across the board. I'll do my best to check off each one. Thank you!
.... I do not want to rush this. Thank you for the detailed response and guidance. Since you recently went through this, the list of all the steps you took is terrific and very helpful.....

@david_ten

You’re welcome, David.

I agree with you (and @toddverrone). I didn’t want to "rush" anything either. Thing is, at least in my case (and this is usually the case with any new component), the manufacturer may provide an "audition window of time" whereby you can return the piece if not satisfied. In the case of the Yggy this is 15 days. Would I have preferred 30 or more, sure! Point is I only "rushed" in order to maximize the return opportunity. Once you know for certain you are keeping your unit, at that point absolutely, take all the time you need/want to compare it to other pieces. Presumably you would be living with your gear for many years at least, so there is certainly plenty of time to "check" (and even re-check) it during that time.

Best of luck David. You are rather thorough, knowledgeable, etc. so I have good reason to believe you will make the right decision in any case.
The Denafrips Terminator was delivered early yesterday morning and went in system yesterday afternoon.

I've ordered the Gen 5 USB board from Schiit and will be doing the install myself.
The Denafrips Terminator was delivered early yesterday morning and went in system yesterday afternoon.

I’ve ordered the Gen 5 USB board from Schiit and will be doing the install myself.

I don’t understand. I thought the Schiit Gen 5 is an upgrade for any Bifrost, Gungnir, or Yggdrasil with the Gen 1, 2, or 3 USB inputs.

Your Denafrips Terminator (I assume this one http://www.denafrips.com/terminator.html at face value looks like a monster DAC and it should be at more than twice the cost of the Yggy. The website indicates it uses an Amanero USB Interface, which does appear to be of similar physical size to the Gen 5, but can you just swap the USB cards out?
@gdhal  I'm not sure I understand your question. Yes, the Gen 5 board upgrade applies to all three Schiit DACs you list.

My Yggdrasil is about 2 years old and has the Gen 3 board in it. I've been holding off on the upgrade until I had another DAC on hand.