Best practices when conducting a DAC comparison

Reaching out for general advice on how Agoners have compared DACs in their own systems.....

....and how you have determined the 'better' or the 'preferred' component, based on your comparison.

This will be my first in-depth comparison.

Feel free to mention whatever you believe will help and stuff I may need to look out for / be aware of.

Thank You.
david_ten
I respect the genuine effort to do this properly. Methodologically there was one error, however. You may not have changed the volume control, but the output voltage of the two units may have been different. Mind you, I am not saying that this is what made the difference, but methodologically it does matter.
Substantively the take home is, of course, that a great effort was needed to maybe, but only maybe, establish a tiny difference.

Not according to the output voltage specs of the *three* components used (Yggy, ERC-3, UDP-205). But I respect your (good) point.

Look, I admit, I do not run or have access to a "scientifically exactly perfect audio laboratory".

For purposes of what I was trying to achieve, accomplish, etc. I’ll stand pat on my decision that in my case the Yggy was and is the correct purchase, and that my testing is *more than* satisfactory.

EDIT:

I agree differences in digital can be tiny and hard to discern. But it’s worth the effort (IMO) once you realize, understand and can prove with reasonable certainty that the component change was/is worthwhile. I wouldn’t go back to delta-sigma from multi-bit R2R. No way. *BIG* difference. (with the Yggy that is. My assumption is that multi-bit implementation will best delta-sigma in any case). More "authentic sounding", period.
For the record, you did a great job. I don't have any measuring gear at home either, and I similarly try to make sense of my imperfect observations. However, as a research scientist I try to stick to proper protocol to shield myself from all kinds of known biases. Sometimes I hear differences, but sometimes I really don't, even on my pretty revealing Quad electrostats.

First compare the same interfaces, whether USB, Ethernet, AES/EBU or S/PDIF coax. You should obviously level-match using a SL meter. Tracks should all be .wav and high quality. Some should be non-music, like falling rain, tinkling glass, blowing wind, percussion, drums. Try Doors Riders on the Storm. Andreas Vollenwider. One track should have deep bass, one track should have serious dynamics. Limit it to 3 or 4 tracks.

Try going direct to your amps and also through your preamp or linestage with both. You may find one blows away the other if you go direct.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@david_ten 

Something else I did that I forgot to mention in my earlier post herein was keep a written log of the results. Seriously. I wanted/needed to "keep score" because often will be the case - especially if when trying blind testing/comparison - that in one instance you favor device A and in another you favor device B. Do that a hundred times and it could be worthwhile to reconcile the results from a written log, in addition to whatever other methods you use.