Is dedicated PreAmp with Oppo 105 needed?

I think I've a decent HT setup but still feel there's something missing. I watch movies 70% & listen to music 30%.

Since Oppo provides pretty clean sound, wondering if upgrading to a dedicated PreAmp will make any difference. If it does, what would you recommend in say $1000-$2000 range? I intend to bypass the Video & connect straight to my Plasma on HDMI 1.4a.

Thank you!
----------
LRC Speakers: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook System II
Surround Speakers: JBL S312
Amplifier: Parasound Halo A51
BD:Oppo 105
Tape Deck: Nakamichi RX-505
Room: 16x18+ with some open area, so sound can bleed
hitsofmisses
Hits,

Since you currently use your Oppo 105 as a preamp and it has no RCA audio inputs, you would require a stand alone separate preamp to be able to hook-up other components such as your Nakamichi cassette deck.

The preamp would be installed between the Oppo and your amp/amps. You have your choice of either RCA single-ended or XLR L+R outputs on the Oppo that you'd need to connect to the preamp's L+R inputs. The L+R outputs on the preamp would then be connected to your amp/amps.

If you do buy a preamp, remember to make sure it has the proper (RCA or XLR)input and output connections to match the Oppo and your amp/amps.

FYI,
Tim
kr4
I’m not sure what additional info I can provide. I need it for HT 5.1 setup with atleast 2 XLR i/p & preferably 5 XLR o/p.

I got that. What else do you want it to do?

Sorry, I think this is what you’re asking. :)

I use primarily for HT (75%) & 25% for Music that are heavy on vocals. I’m leaning more towards Tube based Pre-Amps since I like the warm soundstage. From all I’ve read so far, Oppo’s video processing is very good so I can bypass video on Pre-Amp & connect directly to my 1080P Plasma TV. 
d@kr4: Did I answer your question correctly.

Since the Parasound has 5 XLR inputs, do I need a preamp with all XLR output or an RCA would do?
And does it make a big difference if I connect Oppo via XLR/RCA combo than the HDMI for audio?
If you want to play your tapes, just buy a decent analogue to digital converter, rip your tapes to your NAS, and then sell your Nakamichi. You do not need a separate pre amplifier - your Oppo is perfectly fine for that. If inserting a pre amplifier changes the sound, the pre amplifier is at fault. By definition it cannot improve the sound, and only degrade it.
@hitsofmisses - wow 2-1/2 years later! I think the only thing that will work for you is the Parasound P7 multi-channel preamp.  The P7 does have XLR outputs.  I would recommend using XLR if you can.  It does provide better sound quality and also has higher gain.  

The only alternative is to get some type of HT processor.

The idea that “if inserting a pre amplifier changes the sound, the pre amp is at fault”. This is totally incorrect and goes against all audiophile ideals, it is based on on ideal that if a piece of equipment is good than it will sound no different from any other piece. The truth is that almost every audio device out there sounds slightly different. One of the purposes of a preamp is to help “shape the sound”. It is a tool that can be used by an audiophile to help achieve their goals for the type of sound they want.

I have have heard the Oppo 105 straight to an amp. It sounds good, but it can be slightly dry. A tube or Class A preamp can help add richness and engaging sound.
Well, my audiophile ideal is a completely neutral system that does not get in between me and the music as recorded. I do not want to be a surrogate mastering engineer, or take the place of the musician. I know this is an impossible ideal, but I at least will not add anything that changes the sound.