Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Kykat, you may try this, Chet Baker ’Candy’ album. It is recorded on dvd as well on cd. Beleive that it will provide the sensation of ’depth’, like looking at it live. Here is the link...

https://youtu.be/0mnAVcMqJr8

Another good one is Bill Evans' "Waltz For Debbie"/"The Village Vanguard Sessions".  A live album(s), it does a remarkable job of capturing the sound and ambience of the famous club; a sound I know well from many visits there.  The sense of depth is fantastic; but interesting because the perspective is one from which one gets the feeling of being on stage with the players looking back (way back!) to the audience and the rear of the club instead of looking AT the band.  The music is, of course, fantastic.  
pryso, alex and frogman, many thanks! I'm looking forward to listening to all of your suggestions. 
pryso, while I would like to think that as concerns music I try to keep an open mind and to always "remain open to others’ views", I confess to sometimes being influenced by a certain bias; specifically, against singers whose recordings get a lot of attention as audiophile favorites. I am not entirely sure why, perhaps it was the association in my mind with the label Mobile Fidelity, but I somehow lumped in Patricia Barber and her recordings with that of several "new" artists who have gotten a lot of attention in audiophile circles and whose music has left me unimpressed and consequently ignored her. "Diana Krall syndrome"? Boy, was that a mistake! That clip of Barber’s Newport Jazz concert is NOTHING like what I expected.  Interesting artist. I like her brand of brainy and atmospheric jazz very much. Lovely and sensual alto voice with just the right amount of breathiness and interesting compositions; and, as you say, very individualistic. I can understand to a degree some of the criticism that I have read about a certain "self-conscious hipness" in her style, but that quality (which I wouldn’t describe as such) doesn’t bother me. I’m a little perplexed by the negative comment that you cite about the connection to Bill Evans. I don’t hear it at all. She’s a terrific piano player in a decidedly modern vein, but more assertive and masculine (sorry) than Bill Evans who played with a much more gentle touch, covered tone and brooding quality. Still, she’s no Bill Evans in overall scope; but, who is? Thanks for the clip; I just ordered "Cafe Blue" and will take it from there.
frog, thanks for your thoughtful comments as always.

There may be some misunderstanding about mentioning Evans relative to Barber.  I was not suggesting they had the same playing style.  Rather, one commenter to the video apparently didn't appreciate her playing and suggested listening to Bill Evans instead.  So my point was to admit they are different and one should listen to each for their individualistic styles, but not to suggest no one else should enjoy Barber and all should listen to Evans instead.

Still, I couldn't resist a tongue-in-cheek comment about her posture at a couple of points resembling Evans in the way he would bend over with his face so close to the keyboard, almost as if he was whispering secrets to his piano. ;^)

Hope you enjoy "Cafe Blue".  And I agree completely about the "Diana Krall syndrome".