Home Theater help?

My husband and I are not at all knowledgeable about any of the new(or old) technology in Home Theater systems and/or Flat panel television, but are looking to purchase new equipment for our home. The consultant at our local electronics store is a Magnolia Home Theater rep and is suggesting the following: Pioneer Elite 1080p 50" plasma with a Denon AV receiver w/HDMI and in wall speakers, as well as a Pana Max power conditioner. This system is very costly and sounds like more then we might need with technology that is not yet available? If anyone has any feedback it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
lel
Again, my recommendation of 1080 monitors is not based on reviews but rather real world experience. Every customer of mine that has lived with both types of tvs, wants to only own the 1080 tvs because the picture quality is so much better on HDTV broadcasts (not DVDs). This originally came to light when they didn't realize that the better looking tv had 1080p or what 1080p even was. My comment about wasting money was mainly about the earlier suggestion that Lel buy a cheaper plasma. The bottom line is that I always strive to help clients maximize performance for whatever there budget may happen to be. I was the one suggesting a larger tv with better quality (in my opinion) for less money than the original plasma recommendation.
Here's some insight on the whole 720p vs. 1080p thingy

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=542817
http://projectorcentral.com/1080p_720p.htm
Check out the Yamaha 2700. I just installed one in place of an Anthem AVM-20 ver2.x If your thinking 'step-down' think again. I won't comment on its amplifier section yet as I'm not using that - only because I haven't had time to put my Citation's into 'bridged mode' and power the surrounds with the Yammie. However, I had time to watch LOST last night in Straight Dolby Digital and I was amazed. I've never gotten this much before from a mix off the Satilite. I heard stuff I didn't know was available before.

Do yourself a favor and take a hard look at this Yammie unit. You can connect it into your PC network and use your PC as a music server through the Yammie. XM radio fan or enjoy IPods? No problem, dedicated hooks up for both including processing to de-compress MP3's etc. So much flexibility. HDMI, up-conversion for everything. My HD really did improve and I needed a few less cables too. I never used my old system for video switching.

Frankly I can't believe I've come full circle back to a receiver. It's yet to be seen how much of the amp section I use but it will probably only be the Surrounds. I may try out the 'presence' channels some day too. But for now I LIKE IT!!!!!!!

You didn't ask BUT make sure your system includes a really good universal controller for everything. I'd highly recommend the AREOS 850 from www.universalremote.com. Very very powerfull and flexible. It took all of a minute to change out the anthem to the Yammie and then the software did everything else throughout the macros automatically! I couldn't believe it. We only use one remote and my remote-challanged better half has no problem operating it. Very simple.

Also, don't put the gear on a shelf under the screen unless its high enough to see your gear easily. Mine is under my rear pro inside a custom cabinet but it stinks! I'd have to sit on the floor to use any of the panel controls. My cabinets height is 24", ideal for my particular t.v. but if I knew what I know now, all the gear would be in a closet inside a pull out rack on a turnatble so when I wanted to make an equipment change I could without being a putz on hands and knees.