dCS Rossini vs. Berkeley Reference dac 2

Has anyone compared the two?  I have heard the Rossini side-by-side with the Berkeley Ref. dac 1.  Long story short, the Rossini justified its higher price.  I'm now wondering if Berkeley's second try has narrowed the gap? Meanwhile, kudos to both dCS and Berkeley for striving to provide upgradeable products.
aldenberry
Allen, thanks for weighing in. And I’m sorry to abandon my own post but the question I raised has become somewhat irrelevant to me personally. Berkeley’s ongoing delays- now both the paused update process and the late MQA software- are the final straw. I believe they are committed to quality and well intentioned in every realm, but their time estimates are a joke. So I’ll be moving on. The question now is Rossini vs. Linn and I’ll be able to do a side-by-side comparison with Definitive Audio in Seattle. Which ever sounds better to my ear is going home with me. I will likely use NAS/ Ethernet in lieu of my current Aurender server. So in effect, screw Berkeley- thanks for wasting my time yet again! I must disagree with the notion that the Rossini dac betters the Vivaldi when both are used sans clock, upsampler. I found the Vivaldi (2.0) superior by a huge margin. I agree with you however that the gap is narrow between Vivaldi (1.0) and Rossini. My candid thoughts! Add a few bucks and it’ll get you a cup of java.
Aldenberry,  while not directly related to this thread, you mentioned comparing Lynn Klimax DS3 to dCS Rossini. What was your take away? I also deal with Definitive up in Seattle.
Hi Bobvin,
i haven't been up Seattle for that audition yet but I am intent on doing it.  If you beat me to it, please report back.  Thanks 
I have a Berkeley Ref (1st gen) in my system currently. It is so outclassed by my AMR DP 777 SE and my AMR CD 77.1 I simply can’t understand any adulation for the unit. My AMR gear sounds like my turntable, the Berkeley sounds like hard digital. The Berkeley is certainly not terrible but there is absolutely nothing that would draw me to its presentation. The dealer also told me (great dealer by the way) that they (manufacturers) always claim that the difference with the mk2 is huge, but that in reality (in this case at least) it is subtle.

I have experience with the Vivaldi stack and it is far far beyond the Berkeley. The Berkeley is the type of sound that has analog only people still believing digital can’t compete. I have two turntables and a fully sorted R2R system so I know that digital when done right can get very close to pure analog.

My Museatex Bidat is far better than the Berkeley Ref. I honestly don’t understand some of these online reviewers, unless they are on the take, and a LOT of them are on the take, I would say my former Metrum Acoustics Hex would easily upstage the Berkeley.
Well I may as well re-enter this old post of mine to see if there is any life left in it, and to close by reporting my decision- i bought a Vivaldi DAC. I never got to hear any of the dCS products compared to the Berkeley Ref. Series 2. For that matter, i never heard the Series 2 at all. Nor did I hear the Linn product. In case you are not aware, Berkeley has not resumed its upgrade process for original Series 1 owners, nor will they discuss the future of the process. All of this straight from the horses (bite tongue) mouth- Michael Ritter. Final straw! Now I’m left to accept a pittance for the used Berk. But aside from whining, I REALLY like MQA, which rules out Linn. And i really don’t want to be DAC shopping any time soon. And the Vivaldi really does deliver a bit of magic. Now I have to see how long I can go without buying the clock? Thanks everyone.