Your thoughts about ATC loudspeakers

I’m interested in the ATC SCM-40 from their HiFi series and would like to hear from people who have owned or spent a lot of time with ATC speakers. This is a fairly new model and may be a bit of a departure from their classic sound.

At the show in Newport last weekend, I was quite taken by these speakers. I went back the next day and heard the same things that I liked about them, but a couple of red flags also went up:

Microdynamics – not sure these speakers do them well and microdynamics are critical to communicating inflection and nuance and to making music sound alive

Imaging, specifically wrt depth. Nothing much outside of the plane of the speakers, so recording venue info is not there and even instrument and vocal body may suffer a bit.

Were these shortcomings of setup or associated gear, or is this what ATC does?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
@mofojo the SCM 40 v2. has perfect integration, amazing mids and sounds great turned up. You can get carried away with them easily. The only negatives are that it’s not a full range speaker, for example entire sections of a Bjork album won’t be heard using them. The sound stage is narrow compared to other speakers but to me this is just an honest sound that is not trying make anything artificial. They require lots of power to perform best so careful pairing is mandatory. These issues might be a deal breaker for some listeners, it is an exemplary product regardless. As stated previously when I settle down it will be with a large pair of active ATC’s.

The DI sounds like a panel, people have said that about box speakers before but this time it is true. Side by side with my ESL 15A & Summit X makes for an easy comparison. It has huge dynamics, massive sound stage with the right amp and is a very well rounded performer. They are easy to drive and sound great at low volumes. It’s like getting the best of a few different speakers in one box at a ridiculously low price. The deal breaker? looks, finish and size. It was the first time I felt the need to sit down and discuss a speaker purchase with my wife. She still calls them "the weird looking speakers" but asks me to put on music so she can listen constantly. All this at half the price of 40 v2’s makes in the better speaker IMO.

@shadorne   Thanks for your additional thoughts. Appreciate it!

@jon_5912  Your in-depth discussion is very, very helpful. Thanks!!!
Our SF Bay Area audio club had a tour recently at the Dolby HQ offices and sound and theater rooms.

Dolby was running yuge studio monitor ATCs, powered by Bryston. So that matches what all are saying about the speakers needing lots of power to sound best. 

The dedicated critical listening room had the listening chair in the middle of the room, surrounded by a circle of 6 or 8 huge ATCs. 
It's nickname is "speakerhenge"! 

(Amazing equipment as you can imagine. very tightly controlled security and locked door entries throughout building. The big theater has active Meyer speakers doing surround sound, including from the ceiling)
@1graber2   

Large ATC are one of the few select speakers of choice for "shock and awe" in multi-million $ facilities. (Basically impress the hell out of the clients)

Prism launched a new HiFi version of their DAC at British Grove last year...again large ATC are the choice for Mark Knopfler's studio.

http://www.the-ear.net/features/prism-sound-british-grove
Quested Speaker is another one which is underrated IMHO......

I find them Far more musical, easier to drive and far less fatiguing than the ATC. They cost much less.

ATC Residential and Studio Speakers are the same, except the consumer level stuff is boxed with veneer and such to make them look pretty. Open the Studio and Residential system and you will find the same driver and crossovers.

ATC are no doubt up with the best but i think Quested is far easier to listen too, just as transparent as ATC.

The H108 are used by Hans Zimmer, these units can be driven by Tube Amplification with only 20 watts on hand. The crossover are lighter and the speakers generally to me anyways feels more like Music you can connect too.

Quested has been around for years, Hans Zimmer, Michael Bay, Trever Horn are but a few who have stuck by Quested for years and with good reasons.

Fatige is the word that comes to me every time Iv listen to ATC Speakers. If you are using your Audio room for mix and mastering than both ATC or Quested Speakers will work. However for Music so far nothing has pleased me enough than Quested out of the 3 iv tried many times and that's: Quested, ATC, PMC.