Schiit Eitr with Aurender N100H

I’ve been using the new Schiit Eitr USB-to-S/PDIF converter with my Aurender N100H and I’m having an odd problem. When I stream Tidal, the Eitr works perfectly. When I play files from the hard drive, there is no sound. I have 2 other USB-to-SPDIF converters (Singxer F-1 and Mutec MC-3+ USB) and they play files and Tidal perfectly. Is anyone else using an Eitr with an N100H?

Dave

dpetr
ghosthouse,

I think the comparison between the F-1 and he Eitr is very appropriate because they both have identical functionality, and very similar prices.

I've been using the F-1 for about 6 months, and it's a very good unit.   I liked the fact that is was bus-powered and didn't require a power cord like the Eitr does. 

Sonically they are very close.  I notice a slightly wider stage with the Eitr, and better clarity in the highs, specifically cymbals.  This was most noticeable with my Stax headphones.  I also think that the Eitr has deeper bass. 

But with a different source/speakers, etc, your findings could be the opposite.

I think you could be happy with either one, given the compact size and the price-point, but I give a slight edge to the Eitr.

@Dave:Thanks so much for your comparison. I'm the owner of a gumby, so an eitr in front of it should fit very well :D.  
@dpetr 

Thanks very much, dpetr.  Exactly the info I was interested in.  Appreciate you taking the time.  I didn't know that Mutec device you mentioned.  ! Wow when I looked that up.  I'm guessing that's in another league from Singxer or Eitr.  

I use a Douk Mall split USB cable (separate leads for power and signal) with the power source being a little 5V Enercell AC/DC converter plugged into an APC H-10 power conditioner.  Hopefully, there's enough space (width) when the Enercell is removed to plug in the Eitr wall wart.    

Take care and thanks again.  

I've used many of these USB-to-S/PDIF converters over the past 4 years.  I like the concept of asynchronous USB, and I also like being able to change my USB converter as technology changes, but keeping my Aurender server, sort of like changing cartridges on a turntable.   Over the past 4 years, I've used a Berkeley Alpha USB, the Lampizator USB Transport, the Mutec, a Singxer F-1, and now the Eitr.  They were all excellent sounding interfaces, but the processing capabilities of these devices keeps advancing, and prices keep falling. 

I sold the Mutec this week....

Dave

dpetr -
Interesting to read your history with these converters. What surprised me was that things definitely sounded better using the Aries Mini USB into the V-Link and then coax out to the Gungnir (bought open box without USB input). That is to say, sounded better than running coax direct from the Aries Mini to the Gungnir. Dunno why that was the case but it was not subtle.

A favor to ask, but only if you can reach it easily: How wide is that wall wart that comes with the Eitr? If it’s tough to get to (behind the rack or something) don’t worry about it.