Directionality of wire

I am a fan of Chris Sommovigo's Black Cat and Airwave interconnects. I hope he does not mind me quoting him or naming him on this subject, but Chris does not mark directionality of his IC's. I recently wrote him on the subject and he responded that absent shunting off to ground/dialectric designs, the idea of wire directionality is a complete myth. Same with resistors and fuses. My hunch is that 95% of IC "manufacturers", particularly the one man operations of under $500 IC's mark directionality because they think it lends the appearance of technical sophistication and legitimacy. But even among the "big boys", the myth gets thrown around like so much accepted common knowledge. Thoughts? Someone care to educate me on how a simple IC or PC or speaker cable or fuse without a special shunting scheme can possibly have directionality? It was this comment by Stephen Mejias (then of Audioquest and in the context of Herb Reichert's review of the AQ Niagra 1000) that prompts my question;

Thank you for the excellent question. AudioQuest provided an NRG-10 AC cable for the evaluation. Like all AudioQuest cables, our AC cables use solid conductors that are carefully controlled for low-noise directionality. We see this as a benefit for all applications -- one that becomes especially important when discussing our Niagara units. Because our AC cables use conductors that have been properly controlled for low-noise directionality, they complement the Niagara System’s patented Ground-Noise Dissipation Technology. Other AC cables would work, but may or may not allow the Niagara to reach its full potential. If you'd like more information on our use of directionality to minimize the harmful effects of high-frequency noise, please visit http://www.audioquest.com/directionality-its-all-about-noise/ or the Niagara 1000's owner's manual (available on our website).

Thanks again.

Stephen Mejias
AudioQuest

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-15-audioquest-niagara-1000-hifiman-he1000-v2-p...

128x128fsonicsmith
@shadorne,

"Exactly. Whatever experience that can be measured repeatedly and independently becomes accepted verifiable fact. What cannot or has not been successfully measured repeatedly and independently is in the realm of conjecture or hypothesis or 'marketing hype' or 'unsubstantiated claims'."

Agreed, all except that this leaves no possible room for personal observation. Yes, anyone can come forward and falsify an observation, but that is merely a complication of truth, not an elimination of it...simply because a false claim can exist does not mean that therefore a True claim Cannot exist.

What you claim in the above is essentially a denial of truth itself. Any verification of truth can potentially and legitimately originate from an observation. Without being granted that possible avenue of acceptance, the truth (according to what you said) is blocked from from ever becoming recognized.

That's a complete denial of the scientific method...which always begins with an observation, btw.
@shadorne

In the above I neglected to quote your entire post actually, sorry about that.

What I’m saying is that being paralyzed by the fact that there may be false claims afoot, in any circumstance, is essentially a form of hysteria.
In that case, as you point out, Nothing can be trusted...not even our own instincts to arrive at the truth for ourselves...!

Dude....chill...
Let’s clear up one thing. The accusation of hype and unsubstantiated claims is a common pseudo skeptic ploy but be aware there’s actually nothing wrong with marketing one’s product, even using hyperbole or what Judge Judy refers to as puffing. You know, like World’s Best Coffee. Or, "you will hear things in your records you never realized were there."

Audio manufacturers, perhaps in particular tweak manufacturers, are under NO OBLIGATION to reveal measurements or method of operation or prove the operation of their products. That they are under any such obligation is an old wives’ tale perpetrated by naysayers and pseudo skeptics who employ that tactic all the time as if it means something, like bringing up controlled bind tests as if some device or tweak under would be proven a hoax if it were subjected to controlled blind tests.

Getting back to reality, the manufacturer might not know how his particular product works. Or he may wish to keep the information under his vest. In fact, as I just pointed out earlier, HiFi Tuning admits perhaps even a little sheepishly 🐑 🐑 on their web site that measured data of fuses doesn’t really completely explain the relatively large differences heard in listening tests. Hel-loo! But at least they tried. You know, unlike pseudo skeptics.

True enough. Caveat emptor. Wouldn't have it any other way, myself.

I was only trying to focus on the theory 'apart from fact' in an effort to get a sense of what is in the minds of those who believe things like wire directionality might be real....or maybe I should say 'theory "apart from established fact"...or is it "apart from already established fact"??....or "the most familiar already established universally accepted fact"???....or whatever level of truth needs to be met - sometimes that makes my head hurt.

I myself have heard the directionality effect a few times over the last few years. Sometimes I've heard it when I didn't expect to. Sometimes I didn't hear it when I was expecting to. But, when on those (few) occasions that I did repeatedly hear it, most often I heard it a little more plainly with fuses than with wire in my setup.

Oddly, I can no longer hear the effect under my roof. I've been steadily acquiring more and more electronic noise reduction gear (quantum based) from Alan Maher Designs since coming across that site in 2010. Slowly since then the effect has started growing noticeably weaker as my system improved in sound and performance. Now I can switch out seemingly any wire or fuse and even while hearing an improvement or at least change in sound vs the original wire or fuse, I no longer can audibly detect any delta from directionality, no matter what the test. As if the rest of my system's performance has improved to the point as to 'swallow up' the differences, perhaps??...not really sure... I do know all the "hifi-ness" is gone...almost as if directionality and hifi-ness were somehow being 'bouyed up by electrical noise' as it were.

I can't explain or account for why that would be the case, I just know that it is.
I do recall a Mapleshade digital IC I bought (very affordable) that came with instructions that warned of intermittent audio (dropouts!) if connected in the wrong direction. And sure enough it was true! Now That's a directionality effect Anyone could hear! 

Again, not that I could explain that one either.