LTA - MZ2 Driving solid state amps.

Hello All,

I want to get a new pre and I have narrowed it down to the LTA  MZ2 and ps audio bhk, with the mz2'being the one I probably will try.Both of these have built in headphone amps which I would occasionally like.

I would like any feedback on both preamps related to the pairing with solid state amps of any kind.

Kenny.
kdude66
Lance,

I didn't know LTA could configure their MZ2 with 2 sets of preamp outputs instead of speaker output terminals,I'm sure there is not very much room on the back the unit is only 9 inches wide.

The AHB2 has such astonishing low noise and or distortion specs. I would suspect none the less on micro detail retrieval and probably convey's the nature warmth and nuances on each individual recording without adding much of anything other than gain.
It's good to hear that the bass,with some breakin time has equaled or is better than the Job,I thought the Job had really good bass when I used one.

Just proves once again that most components need some time on them to settle in and really show their true character.

Kenny.
Another feature of the MZ2 is the ability to change the output tubes heater voltage from either  6volt to 12volt,so either 12sn7 or 6sn7 tubes can be used.

I already have a good collection of nos and new production 6sn7's to try but I see the prices on some of the best tubes are very expensive,they must be getting more scarce then I thought.I haven't bought any tubes in 6 or 7 yrs I haven't had a need to.

Has anybody had good luck finding really good 12sn7's and where did you buy them.

I know Lance mentioned he is using 1940's Tung Sol ovals,black glass.

Kenny.
Kenny,

Question - what's your opinion on the Nuprime ST-10.  I ordered the  MZ2 earlier this week and am considering the Nuprime.  My speakers will be the Spatial M3 which I just ordered this week as well.

I attended the LA Audio Show this past weekend specifically to listen to the Double Impacts and the Spatials.

The room and the equipment used to demo the Double Impacts did not do them any justice and I could not pull the trigger based on my listening experience.  The room was hosted by Positive Feedback and they were showcasing low cost, high value systems so there were multiple speakers and components.  For the Double Impacts, they were using  a Schiit Freya preamp and a Schiit pre-production amp. 

Very unfortunate as I really wanted to like the Double Impacts.   I was able to sit in the designated sweet spot while listening.  In a dedicated Tekton room with different components, they  would probably sound great.  I just couldn't get past the way they sounded in that room.

Sorry for the long discourse!

Thanks,

Nick
Nick,

You might check out the thread titled,
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/initial-impression-of-the-nuprime-st-10-amp

Both the St-10 and the S-500 are really good examples of modern class d amps without breaking the bank.

That's a bummer to hear about the la show,I don't go to them anymore they are just not enjoyable to me.

I seriously considered the spatials and the pure audio project with the voxative full range driver but in our new smaller house I really don't have the correct room for them or panel speakers either.
But that's ok I really like my DI's.

When do you think you will get your MZ2,mine is supposed to be shipped by the end of next week.
I can't wait.

Best,

Kenny.

Thanks for the link Kenny.  I'll add the S-500 to review too.  I expect to receive my MZ2 by June 23rd.   Should be getting the speakers about the same time.  Can't wait!

Nick