Speaker phase observation and question?

Hi everyone,

After months of playing around with positive phase and reverse phase connections to my Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers, I have made a couple of observations. When connected in positive phase (red - red, black - black), the speakers put out pretty substantial bass, but the mids and treble are somewhat subdued. Upon reversing the phase, the mids and treble open up substantially, and the bass becomes somewhat subdued. To my ears, I actually prefer the reversed phased.

Moving forward to the current day, I purchased an app that tests phase using a generated tone. In testing my speakers, both bass drivers test positive phase, but the mid and treble test negative. I had read somewhere that some manufactures wire the drivers like this intentionally, but am confused as to whether or not this is the case with my speakers, or if it's a manufacturing flaw?

Any thoughts? 
chewie70
Hi sfall, to answer your question, I am swapping the (+) and (-) to change polarity. However, since the speakers are internally wired in both positive and reverse polarity, and change that I make will always have one set of drivers in reverse polarity. Even if my pre/DAC had a phase switch (which it doesn't), it wouldn't make a difference and the outcome would be the same.

My cables are a double run (i.e. shotgun) into single terminations, so not bi-wired.
Hi erik and asvjerry! Thanks for your input on room correction. I have briefly looked at it, but really know nothing about it. From what I understand, you have to have a dedicated computer to run it? I have also looked at the DEQX system, but am not enthused by the price. I wish that there were audiophile grade EQ's available, as that would probably solve the problem as well.
Years ago there was quite an audio controversy over whether inverse phase could be "heard".  Nothing ever came to a head, but based on my own observations I believe it can, however subtle.  I have for nearly thirty years owned Spiels and love Spicas, and I believe totally coherent slanted panel and positive crossovers are part of the "magic".

You might want to see if you can audition Thiels (older versions) or Vandersteins or Spicas to see if you are "sent to heaven" by the phase coherence.  
Thanks harrylavo! Although I have no desire to change my speakers, absolutely love them 95% of the time, I will look into your recommendations to see if I come across anything that truly Wow's me.
Interesting !!! Would not know about the manufacturer's inverting phase on mids/highs, that you would have to ask or check it out with some tech guys.

The results obtained with the bass are normal, and are you absolutely sure that your ears did not trick you, since when there is less bass, the mids and highs will appear to come out more, and vice versa. Maybe you prefer and advantage these frequencies in your personal sound analysis, and it would just mean that your speakers (and/or associated amps) are not very well balanced for your ear preferences. 

Another tech reason would be that inverting the bass could be pushing /helping the midrange cone, if the later is not isolated from bass resonance in the cabinet.