What material is based below a down firing sub?

This maybe a newbie question but, I have not seen it discussed here. I have carpet and a tiled area. I have seen platformes of Maple for sale. Can someone or many enlighten.

The sub is a Paradigm Seismic 12.

Tanks.
the_end
what nsgarth said about finding the best location for your sub is also my method only after i walk around the room & note where i liked the bass best i also crawl around the room & compare locations.
Tanks all for your sincere replies. I have the signiture 40's and the 470 surrounds. I will see if the carpet works and take the advice offered of finding a chunk of Granite on the cheap if it doesn't.

Peace

TE
Hey ... that sub idea worked great.

Thanks guys - It made a significant difference and I'm warming up to my "new" speaker system. It ended up in a strange place but I'm not fighting with logic.

TE-
The 470's are pretty incredible ... I have a friend that has them and at times they freak me out. Master and Commander - holy cow - I just about wet myself. I went with the S2's in the rear and feel a little bad because they cost so much and never get used much. I have second guessed that purchase since the day I did it. I sure love the S4's especially with the female voice. I matched them up with a pair of Levinson amps (bi-amped) and a Levinson 360S DAC. My two channel sound has me pretty happy - especially now that I tamed my sub a little. I'm still considering the B&W Sig 800's but I think I can push it off for a while.

If you get a minute shoot me an email if you want to compare notes on your Paradigm equipment.

Don’t look back man...