Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
I'm with you.  I was flattered to hear I test for best phase adjustment like you do.  Hand on sub driver while listening to bass passages.  I know that below a certain frequency (probably 60 to 75 hz) sound is almost directionless.  Well, the sound is not directionless but our ear/brain interface is unable to determine direction.  For this reason, crossed over low enough, one can place a sub just about anywhere without it calling attention to its location.  

The room/wife consideratons are, however, quite another issue.  For me to place my sub beside or behind my listening sofa would entail running cables under carpet which gets walked on (not good) or be ugly.  ("Do you really need those wires running across the room?").  

As you, no doubt saw from my system pictures, my Sunfire sub is behind my left main speaker.  It has both an active and passive radiator.  The active faces inward, across the front wall and toward the center and the passive points in the opposite direction.  When setting it up I was surprised that best response is 180 deg. out of phase.  My sub has a variable phase setting from 0 to 180.  For a while I thought 90 deg. was best but 180 is stronger.

Connections are from my power amp to the high level inputs on the sub. This for two reasons:  I have read that this setup is best for matching subs to mains, and I only have one set of outputs on my preamp.  Just for comparison, I tried a  Y connection at the  power amp inputs to the low level inputs on the sub but for some reason this resulted in a very ugly hum.  Either the pre or power amp did not like this setup.  

I am not perceiving an issue with integrating the sub with the mains, I would just like it to be a little tighter.  I think this is simply an issue with the quality of the sub itself.  I think Bob Carver uses a class D amp in his subs and while the Sunfire True Sub is no slouch it is certainly not the caliber of my Canalis Cambrias.  Speaking of which, I think you mentioned in a prior post you were not familiar with the Cambrias.  The Canalis speakers are a product of Spiral Groove.  They are designed by Joachim Gerhard who used to manufacture the German Sonics Alegra speakers.  Joachim has now joined Alan Perkins at Spiral Groove.  The Canalis speakers are virtually the same as Joachim's Sonics speakers but manufactured from bamboo plywood with tweaks to the crossovers.  You can see the whole Canalis line here: http://www.canalisloudspeakers.com/loudspeakers.php

The Sunfire was originally purchased for my home theater back when I had a Vandersteen 2W for the music system.  For some inexplicable reason I sold the Vandy woofer.  One of my larger buy/sell mistakes.  The 2W's mate very well with monitors and small towers.

Two of my obsessions in listening are imaging and detail.  I have found that monitors and narrow tower speakers do this best.  The Cambrias are basically a couple of monitors in a tall box.  The drawback is, of course, they don't move quite enough air.  Hence my use of the sub.  

All things considered, I think my best setup would be two small to medium size subs.  I've been looking at the Rel T5i an T7i. The 5's are a little short on power but given my listening habits they may be enough.  They probably would not work for your large orchestral productions, but then you always have room A for that.

Best,
Harry
PS to my above post: It seems that the spindle on the ET-2 is anodized aluminum.
I held a magnet to it and found NO attraction. Duh!  So, how does mounting a cabinet magnet under the spindle provide any appreciable damping?
Enquiring minds want to know.
Sorry,
John
John, to remove leads I use a tiny fine slot screwdriver. I insert into the tiny opening between the lead and cartridge prong and rotate slowly.
Lead will come loose. To close leads that have opened I insert a round wood toothpick at the opening I want squeeze gently with pliers.
After learning how Frogman removes dimples from dome tweeters, I would be very interested to know how he does cart lead fix. 8^0

PS to my above post: It seems that the spindle on the ET-2 is anodized aluminum.
I held a magnet to it and found NO attraction. Duh! So, how does mounting a cabinet magnet under the spindle provide any appreciable damping?
Enquiring minds want to know.

that’s a question for Pegasus and I believe Dover also who used a fridge magnet. A picture is worth a thousand words !

using the best AudioGon Draw here is how I set it up.

x...0....x

x’s represent magnets - same poles facing one another
0 is the exiting spindle.

I need to go do some boat cleaning. can post a pic later of how I experimented with the magnetic damping, before it was abandoned. but I warn ahead time .....this is heading into that Audiophile dark area.....for reasons posted previously.

Also Harry - I’d like to discuss the bass further, and I am very curious about Johns speaker setup.

fwiw - the Vandy sub was crossed off my list because it requires you go through their crossover first and then to your mains. Was not going to happen in my room..

So just a question.
Bass waves are slower than all the others. So why do people put subs X feet behind their mid and tweeter drivers ? Just asking.

If I was you Harry I would be very tempted just "temporarily", to set up in near field for one hour - just to hear what was possible with one sub. Then negotiate with the wife later. 8^0 hah hah

Cheers Chris

a) regarding wiring: I have to try again to photograph - the lighting makes pictures difficult... patience :-)
b) Fridge magnets & damping: Drop a circular magnet into a vertical copper tube. An enlightening sight - the magnet centers itself and *creeps* down very slowly instead of passing quickly!
Magnetic attraction is needed for static force only or for DC so to say.
With movement or "AC" the magnet induces a current into a close conductor (for which alu is moderately good), which creates a counter field, ie. a damping action. OK :-)