Best budget integrated choices

I had a Sugden A21 some years ago but it died an unfortunate death.

I am looking for a budget (defined as as cheap as possible) integrated to power my LS3/5a V2 (a little easier to drive than the original) to not loud levels.

I worked myself into a tizzy of joy reading reviews of the Onkyo A-9010 Integrated Stereo Amplifier to only find out that the UK version is the one voiced (if I can say that) with a nice warm presentation.  I am a tube guy at heart but appreciate a warm SS amp.

What else should I be looking at.  I am a but apprehensive on used SS after mine died.

Thoughts?
portlandlay
portlandlay,

I'm sorry to hear that your Sugden A21 died an untimely death. I've been in the hobby for nearly 40 years and I've only had one component die on my watch. It was a USA made tube pre-amp that had just returned from the manufacturer for an upgrade. Other than that one experience that was attributed to a "manufacturing" defect, no issues with solid state or tubes while in use in my home.

That said, your "today" budget is pretty low. There are only about 3-4 integrated amps on A-goN right now that fit your budget. Of the ones available today, I would probably lean toward the Arcam A70. I've owned a couple of Arcam units and I enjoyed them. The A70 has a MM phono input which might be usable to you, or a valuable feature if you choose to re-sell it. It also has remote, which to me is an absolute must-have.

If you don't need phono and you only need one or two inputs, you could get a cheap Chinese class D amp, like the Lepai or others. Parts Express has the  Lepai LP-2020A+ on closeout for less than $25. It could get you by until you can save for a more robust amplifier. PE also has a few other choices in inexpensive class D/class T amplifiers that could get you by for a while. eBay also has hundreds of similar choices.

If you can wait, maybe look for a Rega Mira/Mira 3 or Arcam Alpha 10. They sometimes come up for around $300 and both are pretty good. The Arcam Alpha 10 is a really good integrated amp. If you can keep your eyes open for one to come along in your price range, you will be rewarded with very good sound for the money.

Onkyo is good as is Yamaha; also nad, rotel

used in good shape will be a LOT cheaper than new - maybe as low as $50 if you wait for college move out this summer and look diligently

your next question will be - what is the best sounding amp for the LS3/5a for $1500...
The Dayens Ampino is under $700 and imho beats any similarly priced/powered NAD. The same distributor also carries the Vista Spark--closer to your initial budget, but less power, and I haven't personally heard it.