Good CDs Bad Recording

Interested to learn if others have CDs they like that are really poorly recorded. I'm not talking about the ones made in the garage, I mean big artists or studios that should know better and leave you wondering "what where they thinking?".

Mine is Crosby, Stills & Nash's "Daylight Again".. Whether I hear it on the radio or my home stereo or anywhere else the recording sounds like they accidentally cut off everything above 5 kHz. So muffled and dull.

~Jim
128x128jimspov
Todd Rundgren's Utopia ( 1st album) a masterpiece of Music in my opinion but the recording is horrible!๐Ÿ˜
Actually, come to think of it all of the Utopia albums are recorded badly but the first is the worst๐Ÿ˜Ž
James Brown - Live at the Appollo theater Vol 1, 2 & 3. Amazing performances, horrible recording.
Springsteen's "Born to Run." The story is they were going for the "wall of sound" type of mix, so what we have are some great tunes that sound flat and compressed. And it seems that remastering does not provide much improvement.
RHCP with Rick Rubin. Producers like Rick crushed the sound and garnered a great reputation for their in you face sound. Unfortunately it went from tasteful compression in the 70's and 80's to horrible lifeless harsh sound in the 90's. Fortunately I have the bootlegged masters for several RHCP albums and they are a bit better than what was released officially.

@shadorne, If RHCP means the Chili Peppers, then I agree.
I consider Rick Rubin to be one of the great producers of our time, in terms of his arrangements and artists' performances. Given that he has worked within certain genres of music; e.g., Rap and Heavy Metal, he was never going to produce any high quality recordings. One exception would be the Johnny Cash recordings.

But his contribution to the "Loudness Wars" puts him at the top of the list for churning out crap recordings.