Budget Audiophile Looking For Amplifier Suggestions

Hi All,

I'm looking suggestions for a high quality ss 2-channel amplifier (120-150 WPC) made between 1998-2005 that may have sold for $2000-3000 but today would go for $800-$1100. What would you be looking for?

Best Regards,
Mike
mikte15
In 2001 I bought a Conrad Johnson Sonograph SA 400 power amp (200 wpc) and SA 25 preamp, which retailed for $1800 and $1100. I recommend either or both highly; I sold them only because I moved to tubes. The $1100 125wpc SA 250 was Stereophile Class B at the time. CJ MF series power amps from that era are also in your price range.
I would be looking for a Conrad Johnson MF 2300A. I have had a lot of amps and this one is the best sounding in this price range besides a McCormack DNA-1 with upgrades. The MF 2300A sounds good from the start but continually improves for up to 24 hours.
My bid would be, as some have mentioned, a Adcom, either GFA555 or GFA5500, ($350.00 - $500.00 used) or, for a bit more money, a Bryston 3Bsst ($1,200 - $1,500 used). Both the Adcom and the Bryston amps require a substantial warm up to sound their best, but when warmed up properly, compete with many much more expensive amplifiers. Also, both the Adcoms and the Brystons are high currant and able to nicely handle demanding loads.
I've had a few more expensive amps but dollar for dollar, still love the Adcoms and Brystons.,
As some have mentioned, a moderately priced tube amp may also nicely do the job. Right now I'm driving my Maggie 1.7s with a very moderately priced, USA made Rouge @ 100W per side and it does a very nice job in terms of timber, stage and dynamics. 

Good luck,
Jim
Another vote for McIntosh, and where to buy I would recommend Audio Classics. They are located very close to McIntosh Labs. They are a reputable and very reliable company to deal with. Steve Rowell is the owner and Ryan Kilpatrick is one of the sales staff, and I have had the pleasure of talking to both by phone or email. I’m sure they will have something within your budget.

I bought a MA6200 back in August, and I have been very happy and a very happy with the whole transaction.