Oppo 105D high frequencey sizzling issue anyone help me suggesting a mod that i can do or?

Ya No .. so I have had the Oppo 105D since April 2014 and have enjoyed it and never had an issue .. until lately ..

I am getting a high frequency sizzling at the tweeters via the dedicated balanced 2 channel outs.

With less of a revealing interconnect one can not hear it at my listening distance of 10 ft but I do want to keep my WireWorlds Gold Eclipse 7s .. as they are so open and revealing ..

I know that its the Oppo as I have isolated and changed out speakers, cables, interconnects, power cords and by passed my power conditioner as well and all leads point to the noisy audio board.

So I contacted Oppo and it would be $119 for them to put in a new board .. very reasonable I think .. however they cant guarantee me that it will solve my issue as they cant duplicate my exact set up and interconnects..

with the above stated .. maybe I should look into a modification as we all know there is a lot of mods that can be and are done with the oppo 105.

Maybe I try things myself? Thinking of trying to emi rfi shielding the power transformer, power supply cover, transport lid 
 Any suggestions and real world experience that you may have are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time .

greatwhite11
scotttexeira,

For your guidance, my Levinson no.334 is fully balanced, as I’m sure your amps is as well. My manual states that:
"...SINGLE-ENDED INPUTS
These RCA connectors accept single-ended inputs from preamplifiers with
single-ended (RCA) outputs. Single-ended input signals are converted to
balanced signals immediately upon being received at the amplifier, and are
handled as balanced signals thereafter..." "Be sure to utilize ths ML shorting pins".

You may utilize a high quality single ended interconnect and retain the high quality playback from your Oppo, or any other single ended device.
Best of luck.
N

Hi Nutty

Yes I wanted to use my balanced connects for a complete balanced set up however under my current circumstance with the output noise from the balanced outs of the oppo I am now changing over to the rca out. Luckily I do have two Cardas Audio gold xlr to rca adaptors that I will be using for my left and right dedicated stereo outs of Oppo and I will use my only shorting ring that I have for my center. All the 3 channels will now be running rca via oppo .. I am hoping there will be no noise we shall see ..

Thank you!!   

I cant remember how this shorting ring goes .. I will do a quick google check  

Oh wow!! Phew .. nice .. no more irritating sizzling tweeters!

Granted I had to by pass the dedicated xlrs on the oppo and now I am running from the dedicated rcas .. been a few months since I heard such beautiful silence! Cant hear any sizzling from listening position and putting my ear to the tweeters only produce the usual hiss and no underlying sizzling!

I guess I will run my oppo/system single ended for now and worry about figuring out / getting the balanced outs on the oppo fixed ..

Still not sure what gives here .. ?

I had a similar experience with an Oppo 95, but it was a somewhat strong sibilance that presented itself in the vocals, whenever an "s" was pronounced. It turned out the amp and pre were quite a bright combination that was having a cumulative effect on the highs.  I only used the RCA's, and it was present only on certain brighter sounding tracks.

I’ll never go back to that brand again.

Hi 213running

Ya thats cool that you were able to tame the sibilance with better matching components .. my issue of course has nothing to do with sibilance

But I am happy to say that I am now listening to a sizzle free sound ..

I am running through the dedicated rca instead of the xlrs as where the problem occurs .. hopefully the rcas will remain sizzle free for years to come as I do like the Oppo. In defense to Oppo .. it is almost 3 years old and I will have to estimate that we use it atleast 4 hours a day 6 days a week. So we are looking at a conservative estimate of  4,000 to 5,000 hours on the dedicated balanced outs...