Best All time 5.1 Pre/Pro

I’m working on upgrading my Linn AV5103 Pre/Pro, and am considering several units available. First, let me say I don’t need HDTV Switching, that is already taken care of. Second, I only want 5.1 surround, no need for more advanced formats other than DTS. The speakers/amps are all Linn, 7xAV5105’s, all active to 4xAV5140’s and one AV5120 as a center channel, AV5150 sub. I love the amp/speakers, but would like to change out the pre/pro, for several reasons, the second delay locking on to digital signals is annoying. Love the sound, but it has no multichannel inputs.

I’ve got several units I’m considering, and would love more input as to recommended units…

Several things I’ve considered are;

1) Cal Audio SSP 2500
2) Theta Casablanca I/II with superior DAC’s
3) Meridian 8 series…though probably out of my price point..
4) Proceed PAV/PDSD…still love the classics..
5) EAD theater Master 8000
6) Chiro 800/5.1
7) Classe SSP-75

I don’t particularly like Lexicon…to digital for me, and don’t like the harshness of Bryston/ B&K (probably annoyed several folks putting these two together but…)

I’m curious what else you all would recommend…….5.1 channel inputs are a big plus….though this system is mostly used for HT.

Ken
kennyt
I guess you are right... It has been a while!
Well, I was ready to take the plunge and buy the EAD, which interesting
enough I could have gotten new for less than some are trying to sell it for
now, then some other expenses came up, one thing led to another, and then
came the rumors, and eventual truth to the demise of EAD... Add to this my
frustration of having to buy a new pre/pro everytime formats change, and the
resulting loss in resale, I started to think it might be better in the long run to
buy something future proof. This left basically Meridian, Theta, and Tag
McLaren. The Theta sounds great, but they where nowhere near having the
six shooter out yet, and I couldn't get anywhere to hear the Tag stuff.

A nice raise came at the same time I found a sweet deal on the 861 v4 set up
as I'd like it.... Well, I took it figuring at least I would only have to pay for
updates, which at this level might be the same as the cost other pre/pro's,
but I was willing to take the plunge, and the wife OK'd it, so I did it. FWIW to
best utilize Meridian's digital link, I went ahead and bought a G98DH player
as well, I must say for now I am very happy with the combo, and the pre/pro
is so uber flexible that I doubt I will outgrow it any time soon, the room
correction is a plus as well.
BTW I also changed out the rest of the system to Proceed HPA 2 and 3 amps, and Canton Vento speakers, selling off the Linn gear.
Mr. Kennyt, I was browsing your previous threads and thought this amusing as it sounds eerily familiar. Thought you might enjoy it as well. Oh the good old single days :) Sooner or later we all fall.

BEFORE:

07-12-01: Kennyt
OK, I'vve already got clothes there, don't worry, I'm not the marrying type (don't want kids so why would you?).

AFTER:
08-12-06: Kennyt
...Which at this level might be the same as the cost other pre/pro's,
but I was willing to take the plunge, and the wife OK'd it, so I did it.