Best All time 5.1 Pre/Pro

I’m working on upgrading my Linn AV5103 Pre/Pro, and am considering several units available. First, let me say I don’t need HDTV Switching, that is already taken care of. Second, I only want 5.1 surround, no need for more advanced formats other than DTS. The speakers/amps are all Linn, 7xAV5105’s, all active to 4xAV5140’s and one AV5120 as a center channel, AV5150 sub. I love the amp/speakers, but would like to change out the pre/pro, for several reasons, the second delay locking on to digital signals is annoying. Love the sound, but it has no multichannel inputs.

I’ve got several units I’m considering, and would love more input as to recommended units…

Several things I’ve considered are;

1) Cal Audio SSP 2500
2) Theta Casablanca I/II with superior DAC’s
3) Meridian 8 series…though probably out of my price point..
4) Proceed PAV/PDSD…still love the classics..
5) EAD theater Master 8000
6) Chiro 800/5.1
7) Classe SSP-75

I don’t particularly like Lexicon…to digital for me, and don’t like the harshness of Bryston/ B&K (probably annoyed several folks putting these two together but…)

I’m curious what else you all would recommend…….5.1 channel inputs are a big plus….though this system is mostly used for HT.

Ken
kennyt
Thank you all for the input!!! I'm still shopping around, and trying to decide if I really want to go with multichannel music...I've been very happy with my current system (Linn 5103, 4x5140's, 5120 and 5150, all powered actively by 7x 5105's).....don't even remind me about setting this system up, or like last weekend moving it around! It's an all day affair... I do miss the Ikemi I had, but sold it for various reasons I now regret.

As for the recommendations....

1) I've had Aragon equipment before (24K pre/4004MkII) was a little bright for my liking, that may have improved, but I found such an improvement in my system when I went to Linn amps and then pre/pro (had various speakers before but ended up with the 5140's as I already had the 5120 and loved the center, that started the Linn pursuit that led me to where I am now)

2) I'm somewhat interested in the Cal as it sounds from all my reading to have a sound that is what I like. I'm slightly concerned buying a pre/pro that may be difficult to repair, should anything happen to it, and it doesn’t have 5.1 inputs….which after reconsidering, I think I would just keep my 5103 if I’m not going to go multichannel and buy a better source. Besides I still have 3.5 years of warranty on the 5103.

3) I'm surprised no one had anything good to say about the Theta...

4) The EAD and Classe’ are still high on the list, having listened to the Classe’ SSP 75, might go that route....it's really a nice piece.

5) I haven’t heard the Integra…I’ll need to go look for that one.

I’ll keep looking and see where it goes from here……..

Ken
No , No, No after all of this , you are definetly going multi channel. We know where you live and you better start getting those 6 extra quality cables ready or you will get a visit from the Agon police.
I've have a Lexicon MC-1 in my downstairs system and a EAD TM-8800 in my upstairs system. Not really fair to compare the two...because the MC-1 is an old product...and the TM8800pro is brand new with the latest dacs etc. The sonics of the EAD products, in my view, are hard to beat. Workmanship is amazing.
The only mistake made in my setup is the black B&K ref.30 sandwiched between my EAD powermaster1000 and TheatervisionP. I still may find the cash go with the wall of silver. EAD for me.
Tim
I've had a chance now to put the TM8800pro through some paces...and now that EAD has worked out some of the expectable initial "bugs"....I can tell you that this piece is simply amazing in terms of sonics. For the first time ever...i'm considering breaking down my preserved 2 channel path (Wadia 270se modified by Great Northern Sound -> Genesis Digital Lens -> Apogee Big Ben -> TacT RCS 2.0s -> Apogee Big Ben -> dCS Purcell -> dCS Delius -> Placette dual mono preamp -> Innersound 800W monoblocks). The TM8800pro sounds great.