Class "A" sound, as related to Stereophile.

It's all about the sound.

It's all about sound, not how much it cost; when I got into "high end", I knew right off the bat I couldn't afford it, but I had to find one thing for sure; how do the various components sound in regard to Stereophile's classes, or ratings? In order to know this; I had to acquire the ability to identify "Stereophile's" class "A" class "B" and class "C" sounds, and the only way to do that was: first, subscribe to Stereophile, and next was to go to every high end audio salon within driving distance; there were 5 well stocked "high end" salons within driving distance. (Since I didn't take my wife, that created some problems)

After a few years of subscribing to Stereophile, plus auditioning equipment that Stereophile recommended, I knew the sound of those recommendations, and I absolutely concurred with them; "If you want to hear the music, you got to pay the piper". While that's true, it's possible to get class "A" sound with class "B" bucks or less.

At this moment, I am looking at 8 capacitors that cost $25 dollars each, plus 2 mono blocks with an instant resale value of 6K. Once I take the covers off and go in with my soldering iron, these mono blocks are worth a resell of O; my mission must be a success. After a successful mission, the resell is still 0; but those mono blocks will deliver class "A" or "A"+ sound, and that's some sweet music.

I have to visualize and hear music in my head before I can modify a component to deliver class "A" sound; but that's the only way for me to get what has become a necessity.

The pressure someone is under when they modify, is great, but the rewards are glorious. On these mono blocks, they are too small for the huge capacitors, therefore I have to figure a way to make the case larger. My reward is "sound" with absolutely no relation to money. I often wander if someone with a fat bankroll can identify the sound, or only how much they paid for each piece.

Happy listening.

orpheus10

Noromance, I did industrial soldering, including aerospace for a living. Although you're right in most cases, in this case, the component case is not big enough to accommodate these huge capacitors, and I will have to expand it.

Although these caps are not as expensive as the Jupiter, they're just as big.

Have you compared Jupiter with V- Cap?

In this case I see no point in even considering resell. What I will be able to consider is whether or not to use Jupiter or V-cap the next time.

Enjoy the music.

Dlcockrum, I just happened to think of something funny; while my wife was always worried about other women then, now she laughs when I threaten to see other women.

Life is strange that way.

Enjoy the music.
It's all about how your knowledge of how much it cost affects your perception of the sound.
Post removed 

Randy, there was a guy begging me to come over and evaluate his system. Finally I found the time and went over; before the review, he pointed out a lot of "Class A components"; his rig looked like an add out of Stereophile. After listening for awhile, I knew something was wrong, but didn't have the time to find out what.

It was for sure those name components could have produced better sound, but my only option was to tell him how grand his rig sounded, and what an enjoyable evening I had listening to it.

Since I didn't have the time to help him, I left him with a big "Cheshire Grin" on his face; yes, the price of the components influence the sound one is hearing.

Enjoy the music.