Rogue Tempest II magnum or Cronus Magnum for VR-33

I recently picked up a pair of Von Schweilert VR33 speakers which I thought might be a bit polite for my tastes until trying a buddies Rogue Cronus Magnum which gave it awesome texture, percussive bass and the raw aliveness and dive I missed from my zu speakers.

I haven't seen a Cronus come up used in a while, but a non local buddy has offered me a Tempest 2 magnum at a good price... what do you guys think? My biggest hesitation is the active pre I the Cronus vs the passive in the tempest.

Any thoughts?
gopher
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I decided to pass nd just hold out for a reasonably priced Cronus Magnum. Sellers seem whacked these day, the last two listed for the same price I could walk into a dealer and get one new....
Gopher,

The Tempest-III is switchable between passive and active preamplification. It therefore works with a wider range of speakers than the first two Tempest generations. I believe it comes in a magnum version, maybe even a super magnum. I believe too that if you make your decision between one of the Tempest-III's or Cronus Magnum you can't go wrong either way, although I would give the nod to the Tempest-III.

A few years ago when I brought a Cronus and a Tempest home from the shop here in town to audition I found the Cronus to be a bit warmer than the Tempest. I don't recall which Tempest generation it was, 1 or 2. I don't believe I had the magnum version of the Cronus.

The guys in the shop have a Tempest-III Magnum (or Super Magnum, I can't recall) that has KT90 tubes in it. We didn't like the KT90s at first, but since they've been breaking in they've really changed character and are pretty nice. Nice musical texture. I have Gold Lion KT88s in my M180 monoblocks, and I like the detail they convey, but the Tempest-III with the KT90s is a nice setup.
" Dont buy it, I had a Tempest II and my Modded Dynaco kicked its ass....and compare 90 watts/per to 35  "

I'm currently running a 99 Magnum into a VTA modded ST70. I've been thinking about stepping over to the Tempest integrated for simplicity's sake, but this is quite a claim. Besides its hard to beat the iconic MCM look of the ST70
A well modified dynaco can sound excellent compare to others so don t downplay the rogue because when you modify a unit your pockets are the limits .