If I'm looking for "Tube Sound", why would I put a Tube Pre in front of a SS amp?

I'm purposefully not specifying speakers as I would like to know in general terms the arguments for and against. So, to the degree that speaker characteristics could also influence the choice, please  explain.  FWIW, I do not know a phase angle from an impedance curve so I will try and educate myself as we go along.  Hopefully, others may benefit too.
finsup
While there's a lot of valid technical experience expressed here, I'd like to add a slightly different take on this topic.

In my experience, both varieties of amplification can provide fine sound, and cater to the individual preferences that each audiophile has --whether we are conscious of, or admit to them --or not.

Nonetheless I have heard exquisite sound several times and the cause is the care (and possibly experience) of the person who has assembled the system. These systems have been solid state, tube and hybrid (as is my own system, designed by Derrick Moss, another fine engineer).

My point, and something I believe is not adequately expressed in this thread, is that the matching of components is crucial to distinctive sound. It doesn't matter what flavors of ice cream you choose for your banana split; what matters is the way it tastes to Your palette. Nobody can either dictate that to you, nor determine what you like best; only you can discern what balance, or flavor, of sound best suits your taste.

Consider the opinions of those people whose other threads you respect; question the rest, winnowing what virtue or insight there may be for your inquiry. But approach our hobby/pursuit/addiction with 1) and open mind and 2) CURIOSITY. Wonder what you would like; don't make any assumptions, and don't listen too much to others. There is some great gear available.

And remember: the single most influential component in your system is your room, how you position your components (notice I don't only mention speakers) and how you treat your room to (re)produce sound with the greatest fidelity to your perception of musicality.

Complementarity, room treatment and an open mind will, if pursued rigorously and with patience, give you the sound that makes you fall in love with music over and over again. Isn't that the reward of assembling a system that suits our unique taste and preferences?

Currently pairing a Shindo Vosne-Romanee pre with a Viola Labs Symphony  amp driving Raidho D2.1 speakers. Rich tonality, detail, layering, large sound stage, emotionally involving...very hard to shut it down and get to bed at a reasonable hour!
The truth is that a tube pre cannot give you the tube sound If you use a SS power amp. The tubes advantages are 3D imaging, openness, soundstaging, and presence. The disadvantage is a coloring of the sound. If you use a SS power amp only a tiny fraction of the tube advantages + all of the disadvantages remain. If you want to have a tube like sound with a SS amp you have to use a single ended class a amp (sugden, first watt)
Has anyone in this thread addressed preamp-power amp electrical compatibility? This interface is also important, like the power-amp/speaker interface. Solid state amps tend to have lower input and output impedances than tubed units. Your preamp's output impedance should be at least 10 times lower than the input impedance it sees in the power amp. Other things being equal, this would favor a transistor preamp into a tube power amp, unless the tube preamp's designer has taken steps to lower the output impedance to where it will work with the lower input impedance of a solid state power amp. There are many exceptions. I have one ss power amp with a 100k input which is similar to a tube amp I have. Check your specifications, people. You need to have good electrical matches between all components before assessing sound quality or comparing "tube" vs. transistor sound.