Manly Steelhead - any downside??

I am thinking of going for a Manley steelhead and have read many great reviews.
One thing that is mentioned consistenly is that it is a little lean.
Does that translate to the music being a little too revealing on the not so good recordings?.
Or does it make these recordings sound better and easier to listen to compared to warmer sounding phono stages?

me I want to to be able to listen and enjoy all my records, so ultra revealing is not something I am looking for in any phono stage.

appreciate any thoughts
downunder

nkonor,

I rolled a LOT of tubes when I got my Steelhead (~ 2005). I ultimately had no difficulty settling on Siemens CCa's and Bendix/Mu 6900's. Siemens was definitely more revealing than Telefunken. The 6900's were much cleaner than any other tubes I tried in that position. Still have those tubes in there, totally satisfied (don't get to listen nearly as much as I'd like).

Now for the bad news. The CCa's are pretty available, but expect to pay $300-$400 for a real NOS pair. The 6900's are even worse - almost unobtainable, my guess is $250-$400 each if you can find them.

Richard

Hi Lewm, can you give a brief comparison between the Steelhead and the phono sections of your Atma-sphere MP1 and the Aesthetix Janus?

I am using the Aesthetix IO and thinking of getting an additional phonostage / preamp, the Steelhead and MP1 are on my short list.

Thanks!

6 moons review online comparing Steelhead with Tom Evans Audio Design Groove+ makes an interesting read. The jist of it that the TEAD blows the SH away.
The Kong, Before having done any modifications or tube rolling with the Steelhead, I would rank those 3 as follows: MP1>Steelhead>Janus.  This is my Janus with upgraded coupling capacitors (using V Caps and polystyrene film and foil output capacitors on both the line and phono stages).  The stock capacitors in the standard non-Signature Janus really drag down its potential, IMO.  My MP1 is not stock, either.  My only problem with it is that one of the modifications I performed was to replace the bottom tube(s) in the phono input dual-differential cascode with a bipolar transistor, as used by Allen Wright in his RTP3C.  This gives the phono stage so much gain that it is unusable with all except very LOMC cartridges.  Not a bad problem to have, but I cannot run it with MM cartridges.  The Steelhead sounds very good with MMs in my basement system, as is.

Noromance, 6 Moons reviews are among the most unbelievable reviews to be found on-line, IMO, but I will take a look.  There are several other reviews or posts on Audiogon claiming that this or that phono stage is also superior to the Steelhead; I don't let stuff like that faze me. The TEAD is solid state, is it not?  I am still waiting to fall in love with any solid state phono stage.  Many are "very good", to my ears, but all so far fail to reach that juicy musical Nirvana I perpetually seek.  

I happen to have a stash of 6900s, but I use them in my amplifiers, two per chassis, and I am loathe to further diminish my supply.  However, in the past I had come to believe that 5687s (the parent of the 6900) can sound just as good in audio applications.  The 6900s are needed if you're building a guided missile, in 1965.

Lewm, thank you for the reply!  Purely based on reading of reviews and posts, my speculation actually matches your ranking of the 3 units.

It is just too bad that Atma-sphere doesn't have any agent in Hong Kong, I would love to have an audition!