Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Interesting, Wolfie, that you should mention the late Lars Fredell ("The World's Greatest Audiophile"), as just the other day I happened to be reading his brilliantly written and informative review of a Tenor OTL amplifier.  Very sad that he passed away at only 58.

Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting him, or of sharing a listening session with him or his close colleague "Sam Tellig" (formerly of Stereophile), even though I live in the same general neck of the woods as they did at the time.  In those days my work was sufficiently intrusive on my time that just being able to listen at home was a special occasion.  But eventually I got my priorities in order :-)

Best regards,
-- Al

mapman ...

Is there a way that you can move your equipment so that its all behind your speakers? You say your gear is facing the speakers. I don't think that's the best situation.  If the gear is facing the speakers, and the speakers are firing into the equipment (even from across the room), think of how this could be causing the equipment chassis, the amp stand and coffee table to vibrate (think micro level). I know you said there is "no noticeable feedback,"  but like I said in my last post ... think of an old tube TV set with white noise on the screen that you didn't know existed until you replaced it with the new LCD TV set. 

Take a look at my system page. Notice that there is a large glass coffee table right in front of the sweet spot listening chair. That table is about ten feet from my speakers.

A few weeks ago, my friend Robert (Mr. Record) tried talking me into removing the heavy glass top and moving it out of the room. We finally did it. The thing is so heavy it took both of us to move it ... and it will never come back.

Without the large glass top, I'm getting better bass than ever. Very natural, very defined and very deep. Its small things like this that make the differences. Funny how you don't know there's a problem until you remove it. 

I love free tweaks. On your ARC preamp: try moving the two tube rings as far up the tubes as possible without the top ring falling off. Be sure that they are still solidly on the tubes, but as far up as possible. Be sure that both rings are solidly touching each other all the way around. You should hear more overall clarity after you've done this little tweak.  

Have you tried removing some of the Mu Metal?  I've experimented with Mu Metal in the past, and I know it reduces noise, but it can also be over done and have the effect of dulling the sound. 

So, there's a couple of suggestions. May work and may not. If not, nothing lost ... not even return postage. :-)

OP
Wolfman wrote,

"My dearly departed friend and neighbor Lars Fridell let Sun Mook dudes put their ridiculous little ebony discs in his listening room…another expensive bit of audio tricksterism that yielded no benefit."

if you cannot hear Shun Mook discs, even one, either you’re all thumbs or just plain deaf. Shun Mook Mpingo discs are without a doubt one of the top ten tweaks of all time. Have you given any consideration to having your ears candled?

Al ...

I used to get the biggest kick out of Sam Tellig's reviews that included Lars. You could tell that they were the best of friends. I loved the way Sam used to emulate Lars' Swedish accent. Funny stuff.

OP, +1 re "Sam" (I used quotes around his name in my previous post because that was a pseudonym, as is fairly well known) and Lars. Very enjoyable and witty reviews.

Best regards,
-- Al