What is Technics thinking?

Lots has been said, both pro and con, about the new Technics turntable.  Description here -

http://www.sl1200gae.info/about

Some are excited about the potential, given the upgrades since their last production table/arm, the venerable SL-12XX series.  Others see it simply as an excuse to raise the price significantly of the 1200s.

In my view they shot themselves in the foot.  They copied the model number of their best selling table (I can only imagine in the hope the familiarity will carry over) and also ended up with a very similar appearance.  Given the information on all the upgrades over their prior model, the similarities make it appear like something less than what it might be.

Technics had a room at THE Show Newport and that was my first chance to see a SL-1200GAE.  The fit and finish appeared to be very good but it did look like a "polished up" SL-12XX.  I ask the Technics rep why they didn't do more to distinguish this as a new model, given their efforts with engineer upgrades.  He said he could understand my question but then really didn't offer a reasonable explanation.  After describing all the components which had been redesigned/upgraded from the prior model he offered a demo.  However the room was crowded and the remainder of the system was completely unfamiliar, so no fair impression could be made.

I believe it should have had a more unique model designation and more might have been done to the physical package so it didn't look so much like the prior model.

pryso
The Technics speakers aren’t single-driver; they’re 2-way coaxial. They also make a much larger and more expensive floorstander that uses the same driver. Kind of like KEF with the LS50 and Blade models, though the Technics floorstander is more like $10K instead of 30K. I agree, though, that the floorstander would have been more appropriate to demo the new SL1200G--assuming any of the floorstanders are available yet.

Also, the August issue of Stereophile has Herb Reichert’s column which features hands-on impressions of the GAE. He ranks it as equal or better to any other Stereophile Class B turntable. One thing he went on about is that where the original SL12x0 series didn’t have a particularly good spatial (soundstage and imaging) presentation, the new 1200GAE has it in spades--throws a big, precise 3D image. That’s a big change.
I got a good listen to the both the small coax SB-C700 and the SB-R1 towers. Both are impressive at their price points, $1700 & $13,500 respectively. One could add a REL sub to the SB-C700 speakers & SL1200G turntable and no doubt live happily ever after. 

I said it before and I will say it again, rewire the tone arms with solid silver wire & any of the SL1200 series turntables will preset an enormous soundstage. That is the achilles heel of the the 1200 series.

That said, I've been listening to my new 1200GAE all week with the Ortofon Vienna (Cadenza Blue). Comparing directly to my SL1200 "Limited" (Audio Note silver wired arm) does reveal some interesting differences. The soundstage is actually "smaller" on the GAE using the exact same cartridge. However I agree with Herb the GAE throws a more precise 3D image. For now I still prefer my 1600Mk2, interestingly it sounds closer to my 1200 Limited than to the new 1200GAE. Here I suspect the new DD motor & plinth in the GAE is doing something most excellent. 

While there's something new and right going on with the GAE, at the same time there's something a bit off! The initial "hotness" I described is mellowing after 30 LP's, but I can't seem to shake it completely. I'm starting to suspect silver plated copper tone arm wiring. Yuck!  Perhaps this bright overtone will work perfectly in your system ... wrong tone in mine. 

More break-in time will tell, but I am prepared to rewire the GAE arm.

Since I do not want to steal anyone’s thunder I will let someone like BillAllen10 write a more detailed/competent review. I have owned my Technics 1200 GAE for about two and half weeks now and am very happy with it.

I agree for my 4K I would liked to have seen the 1200 GAE have a different aesthetic than the G or previous MKxx models. My thought would be some for gold accents on the plinth and gold colored buttons, rather than a nondescript number plate. Which is the only cosmetic distinction the GAE has from other 1200’s.

Setting looks aside, this is the best table I ever purchased. I have had few over the years. Rega, SOTA, Thorens, plus Mid-Fi offerings from Project, Pioneer, Techincs, and Denon, just to give you all an idea.

The SL 1200 GAE is simple to use and set up, rugged in its construction, and well engineered. Though it is debatable as to whether or not the $4k price point is fair.

Call it buyer’s remorse, but I would be the first to agree that I spent too much on this thing. That being said, there is enough engineering, build quality, and performance value in this table that it does merit its hefty asking price.

To be more clear, even after being fool hardy enough to spend $4k on this thing. I do not feel ripped off. Believe you me, there has been a time or two where I spent considerably less on a big bang for your buck Audio Darling and felt I been had. Gaining nothing from my investment except a notable name, that has not been the case with the 1200 GAE.

It is not broken in yet so I am not going to go into great detail about its sound. But everything about this table works as it should. Fit and finish are excellent, the tonearm tracks extremely well, the platter speed is dead on.The most notable thing it offers is a great noise floor. It is the quietest of any table I ever owned.

This is important to me since I am a bass-head and like to use Grado cartridges for their excellent low end. The downside with these, is that on lesser tables they are prone to pick up motor hum and rumbling, so along with the super deep bass you hear that too.

The extensive Isolation within the 1200 GAE has eliminated this. Now for the first time since I been buying them I am finally getting the most out of my beloved Grado’s.

The other downside with a Grado wood-body is that they are over-sized. Not all tonearms handle them well, not so with the 1200, which handles them with aplomb despite being an very light tonearm.

As far as the sound goes, for the time being I will not go into a deep description. I want to get things broken in first. All I will tell you is I am enjoying the !@#$ out of this table right out of the box. Since its arrival I have gotten very little sleep. Instead of going to bed when I should; I have become addicted. There have been many nights where I have to play one more, because that last record sounded so good.

Do not get me wrong, there are other tables that are better buy, and this table is by no means a bargain. However, my experience has been, that the 1200 GAE did deliver on what I paid for.

The bottom line with this thing, is that it performs like a 4k table should. That is all I can ever expect from it.

Hi Billallen10,  Thankyou for the phone calls and emails,  my sl-1600mk2 is now in perfect working order thanks to you,  you are an asset to us all here on audiogon,  I  assure you,  this gentleman knows technics turntable's 😎