Are audiophiles still out of their minds?

I've been in this hobby for 30 years and owned many gears throughout the years, but never that many cables.  I know cables can make a difference in sound quality of your system, but never dramatic like changing speakers, amplifiers, or even more importantly room treatment. Yes, I've evaluated many vaunted cables at dealers and at home over the years, but never heard dramatic effect that I would plunk $5000 for a cable. The most I've ever spent was $2700 for pair of speaker cables, and I kinda regret it to this day.  So when I see cable manufacturers charging 5 figures for their latest and "greatest" speaker cables, PC, and ICs, I have to ask myself who buys this stuff. Why would you buy a $10k+ cable, when there are so many great speakers, amplifiers, DACs for that kind of money, or room treatment that would have greater effect on your systems sound?  May be I'm getting ornery with age, like the water boy says in Adam Sandler's movie.
dracule1
Dracule1, let's just not call them 'filthy rich', they are simply rich. We don't want to start a class civil war here, really. If you ask me, I would never pay $70k for any cables regardless of my finances. Yes, it's too much! And how much is not too much? Well, I am not sure, $15k for a masterpiece perhaps.
I had no idea that great acoustic guitars are also made in England and France, I thought only in Spain.
Yes, I have a high tolerance for the absurd but not unlimited. And I am tired of paying $20 per pound for my favourite European cheese ! Too much, goddamn it !
Inna, ok. I'll call them "wonderfully rich". How's that for political correctness?  I wasn't trying to start a class war, as I wouldn't mind being "wonderfully rich" myself. But I wouldn't spend $10k for cables even if I hit a record Power Ball jackpot.

Oh yes. There are other countries that make excellent classical guitars besides Spain.  If I had the money, I would spend $10k on a classical guitar made by a master luthier. My favorite classical guitarist is Julian Bream, an Englishman, who was trained by the father of modern classical guitar Andre Segovia, a Spaniard.

European cheese? I thought velveeta was the bomb! I'm glad I don't have expensive taste in cheese. I have taste buds of a goat.
I'd say I like John Williams more than others, but I mostly listen to flamenco guitar. Paco Pena is excellent not to mention Paco de Lucia of course.
Post removed 
dracule1 OP937 posts06-17-2016 12:36amBTW, I was a chemistry major in college, so I do have more than basic understanding of physics and materials science.

Ok Drac, I will give you credit for your humor. That is friggin hilarious.