What's the latest word on the Emotiva UMC-1?

I just bought the Oppo 83 blu-ray player, and now see the Emotiva website says the UMC-1 processor is in initial shipping mode. At only $700, is this processor really of great quality and a bargain compared to the likes of more expensive units from Onkyo, Integra, Marantz, Rotel, etc? I'm looking to spend under $3,000. For strictly home theater use, would you go for the UMC-1 or what other product?
rxlarry99
Chadnliz,

That's a reasonable way to look at it. All I can say is what I experienced after owning Bot the Onkyo & Marantz processors. It's fair to say that THEY are not giant killers. ALL had bugs. NONE had as many bugs as the UMC-1 when it was released. I've never paid more than 2700.00 (give or take a few bucks) for a new processor.

And with all of that said I can honestly report that in my system using Comcast HD cable, PS3, Oppo DVD BD, Apple TV I have zero issues. Even the friend who bought my Onkyo agrees the UMC-1 sounds better.

Does that make it a giant killer? Of course not. None of these processors are ever going to be as good as my Manley or Rogue preamps. But I am a guy who actually OWNS the gear. I toss out what doesn't meet my demands and cry loudly if I think a product is flawed.

So....my statement is this: Anyone looking at the current Onkyo or Marantz processors should try to find someone with the UMC-1 so they can hear it for themselves. If you want to spend 4-7K then I expect you'd be getting a far better pre-amp section in the bargain and that's a different animal.

Thanks for the measured reply.

Rob
Mateored,

The UMC-1 sounds about the same as an Onkyo or Marantz processor in home theater applications.

HOWEVER.....If you plan to rely heavily on automated EQ I believe that the Marantz is strongest in that area. If you're experienced enough to set up the settings on your own I seriously doubt anyone could tell the UMC-1 apart from most processors while watching Avatar.

HOWEVER Part 2.....On music material including 2 channel audio listening the UMC-1 rises above the others. And I'll also include Denon in that pack. The UMC-1 is an unusually musical processor, so much so that I even tried using with my superb Merlin speakers.

HOWEVER Part 3.....If the UMC-1 is equal or a bit better than processors in the 2-3K range, then I'd really suggest holding of until their new unit is released in the next few months. It will have bugs, but probably less than the UMC-1 did when it was released. I'd give it 2-3 months and get that unit which will most probably BE the so called "giant killer."

Never believe people who haven't owned the gear and are using it currently.

Good luck,

Rob
Rob is correct. I just switched out the Onkyo for the UMC and there was a pretty big difference. Ive had some really nice gear & some budget stuff, this UMC 1 & XPA 5 combo is the real deal. I already put the XPA 5 through tests over this past year, and I have just loved. Even did a superb job through some Magnepan 1.6's. Thats what twisted my arm to try the UMC 1. Now that the bugs are mostly under control, I pulled the trigger.

Theres no doubt the UMC 1 is MUCH better then the Onkyo for 2 channel, and is at least as good for Theater, if not better. Much more detail, and honestly, at least with my setup, Ive possibly never heard a deeper sounstage. Specially since I'm only using Paradigm S2's right now, and a svs ultra sub. Not exactly top speakers, but they sound as good as Ive heard them using the Emo stuff.

For some comparisons, heres some quick ratings based on sound quality on prepros Ive owned the last 4-5 years:

2 channel Home Theater
Anthem 50 8.9 8.5
Bryston 1.7 8.2 7.5
Onkyo 906 5 6.5
onkyo with xpa 5 6.5 7.5
Rotel 1068 7.5 7.5
Emo UMC 1 7.8 7.5
Krell showcase 8 8
"Never believe people who haven't owned the gear and are using it currently."

What if a person who has never owned it (which may speak to their good sense) finds and reports on the experiences of others who have owned it. Rob you don't have to own something to comment on it, think about it.

"If the UMC-1 is equal or a bit better than processors in the 2-3K range"

You are the only person to make this claim...

"I'd really suggest holding of until their new unit is released in the next few months. It will have bugs, but probably less than the UMC-1"

You are that confident in emo that even with two processor debacles that they will do it again ? Why would saying this inspire anybody in a right state of mind to buy the xmc ?

"I'd give it 2-3 months and get that unit which will most probably BE the so called "giant killer."

So why wouldn't emo just wait the three months and release it bug free ?
I am not so sure that your prepared to be objective Rob, you are already saying you sure this new unit (with bugs...that in itself is an amazing lack of confidence) but still you seem certain its going to be some "giant killer"
Sorry but your shilling before its even out, it is apparent your not prepared to be nuetral to me.
As shaneful as Emo's last release was it will be the untimate show of greed and arrogance if the new unit has ANY bugs whatsoever, any serious company will learn from and refuse to repeat a flawed product launch. I look forward to final judgement on exactly what kind of company we are dealing with here. If its a great release then bravo and the shame will fade in time, if it is however yet another arrogant misguided premature and lengthy delayed launch of a subpar product they deserve to fail and we should not slow the demise down with explanatory excuses and slide of hand positive forum marketing, they should die the death they desrve. The have recieved their get out of jail free card, if it happens again we should execute.
Trying to make a product that is good for the money is a great goal but its worthless to only have good intentions, the proof is in performace as promised.........thats not unreasonable to expect, or demand.
Emotiva I am talking to you, you have one more chance to right the ship................are you listening?
Time will tell I suppose.................tick tock!