Hype, Hyperbole and high price!

Okay, I understand that this site has to make money by having advertisers, but cheese and crackers, the claims that are made are just laughable if not down right criminal!  Before I attended an engineering university I too was duped into buying expensive wires and such.  Now, armed with an engineering and physics background, I can see through the BS claims made.  I try and not let it get in the way of my enjoyment of good quality stereo equipment, but when a salesman tries to sell me something based on testimonials, hype and hyperbole, I tell him politely my background and then ask him a series of questions which leaves him dumbfounded. 

Such crap as directional wires - (I used to work for both Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman) and trust me, if we had to test the miles of wires for directionality in every piece of equipment built...well you get the gist.

I have friends that are audio snobs and although they argue with me (Basically buyer's remorse) they know that what I say is true and end the conversation.  Oh well, I suppose I will continue to get a headache when I read said claims.

Sigh!
128x128kenny928
Danvignau wrote,

"Let’s us also not forget that the reason we have such great tubes/valves-for-the-aficionado, is that the USSR was so far behind us in electronics that they perfected their tubes for use in MIG radar. That is why tubes come from Russia and China.

TRIVIA: When turning and firing their cannons, MIG pilots had to compensate for the gravitational forces on the stretching elements in the tube radar."

For voice communication tubes are the cat’s meow. It actually wasn’t until the late ’80s that the pilot to controller radios in all the FAA centers were converted over from tube electronics to solid state since there was an availability issue. Unfortunately the advantages of Russian amd Chinese tubes don’t actually crossover to high end tube electronics you know do to the superiority of American and British NOS tubes. I will give the Russians props for using tubes in fighter aircraft, which employed tubes for the communication section, too, all the way up to the Mig-31, as tubes are certainly superior to solid state when it comes to withstanding high over pressures results from nuclear explosions.
I hooked up my rca cables with the arrows pointing towards the CD player and the music played backwards. Pushed the phase button on my pre-amp and fixed the problem.
Well, this was really fun!  What an entertaining thread.  I had to read the whole thing, I just couldn't help myself.  As well as LMAO, I did actually learn a thing or two, I think.

I used to be in the motorcycle business--odd that motorcycles came into this discussion, but we use to have a little saying that used to prove itself out time and time again as we would buy and sell motorcycles that ranged from stock & custom Harley's, custom choppers, Japanese bikes, bikes in great condition or just plain disasters and everything in between, and that was; "there's a seat for every saddle".