Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Very nice post, Frogman! I see exactly where you are coming from now, and would agree. We are indeed drawing slightly different lines, and what you said about "clear and unique" stylistic voice makes more sense than anything else I have heard about why some don't dig him as much. He definitely has a more homogenous sound, as do more and more brass players nowadays, in the classical world as well. Regional differences in sound, even on my instrument, are becoming less and less, which is really kind of sad. Everyone is sounding more and more the same. It's a great sound, but there is much less variety. This issue has affected my own career negatively.

For those of you who are not musicians reading the above, a brief explanation in layman's terms - I used to sub regularly with one of the very finest orchestras in the country, when my former teacher was the principal. Well, when he took a sabbatical near the end of his career, suddenly the calls for me stopped. The younger guys in the section preferred to use a guy who was not as experienced as me, and who they had to correct more ensemble-type problems with than they did with me, simply because they preferred the horn he played on to mine (he sounded exactly like they did, whereas I had a slightly different sound, even though I was able to blend perfectly well). While the calls started again, once my former teacher came back, I saw the writing on the wall for working there once my teacher retired, but luckily I got the job I have now anyway, so it didn't matter in the end. I have also had the satisfaction of hearing my former teacher publicly criticize his former colleagues for how they operate now in their close minded fashion since his retirement. I'm not going to say anymore about who and where or anything like that - I like to maintain relative anonymity here to feel free to make comments I would otherwise be uncomfortable making.
O-10, that John McLaughlin/L Shankar clip was fantastic; I loved it. Talk about two players being locked into each other musically; and clearly enjoying it. Thanks for sharing. This is McLaughlin with another favorite guitarist Paco De Lucia:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5Zmf4sCmo

I was listening to "Star Eyes" from my computer play list, and thinking that's got to be the best version of that tune I've ever heard. (I'm not even close to the computer when I listen; consequently, I can't read who's playing) Try as I might, I couldn't place who was playing. Although it was led by the tenor man, (I've got a lot of them), "OK, I'll just listen and enjoy the music."

The more I heard this tune, the better I liked it; when a tenor sax man can make the words and meaning of a song come out as well as a vocalist, that's saying something. I once knew a "Star Eyes" with the most astounding, sparkling eyes I've ever seen, and her image flashed before me.

The piano that followed the tenor fit so perfectly, then the trumpet; "That sounds like Lee Morgan", now back to that singing sax which brings out this tune as well as any vocalist.

I discovered this was "Star Eyes" off my Mosaic LP compilation, Mosaic MR4-106, The Complete Blue Note Recordings of The Tina Brooks Quintets; Lee Morgan, trumpet; Sonny Clark, piano; Doug Watkins, bass; Art Blakey, drums, and it was recorded on March 16, 1958. That was the congregation on "Star Eyes"; these various groups Tina assembled consist of the very best jazz musicians of that time between 58 and 61. This compilation of records contains 4 well recorded LP's and two booklets. Rok, while this compilation isn't available on CD, "Star Eyes" is available on "Tina Brooks - Minor Move" CD.

Enjoy the music.
Learsfool, how true, and I know that scenario well. More and more I show up to a freelance job where, first of all, I look around and ask myself "who are all these people?" (young!!; or perhaps more accurately: I'm getting old!!). There are are so many truly fantastic young players fresh out of conservatory who can play anything with accuracy, great pitch, and even good understanding of the repertoire; but, somehow, they tend to sound more alike than not, and don't have the experience to get them out of a musical "jam". As Rok so astutely said once "music is not about perfection". Unfortunately, given the current state of the BUSINESS of music these young players have to start from a place of perceived "perfection" to stand a chance of getting to the point later in their careers where they can express more individuality.
****"That sounds like Lee Morgan", now back to that singing sax which brings out this tune as well as any vocalist"****

****I discovered this was "Star Eyes" off my Mosaic LP compilation, Mosaic MR4-106, The Complete Blue Note Recordings of The Tina Brooks Quintets; Lee Morgan, trumpet; ****

Hah!