Bob Dylan MoFi

Heard from a very reliable source that Mobile fidelity Sound labs will be releasing a set of Dylan Lps in Mono in the coming months. Time to open the wallet once again. 
fromunda
geoffkait,

Thanks for correlating your moniker with your company name. I, like many, were unaware of this.

Enjoying the springs!
FWIW, here's my comparison of my two pressings of "Nashville Skyline": My original pressing vs. MOFI 45rpm.

The first thing I always notice when looking at the cover art, Bob is smiling!!! This is very rare. On this lp and John Wesley Harding, he is smiling and seems to be having fun. (Maybe a coincidence that these are two of my favorite lps from Bob). This may be a sign of good things to come on this lp, right?

The other most notable difference from his earlier lps is that he's changed his vocal style for this effort. I suppose it is in keeping with the subject matter. Still, it shows his versatility.

The first track, "Girl From The North Country" is the stand-out song sonically. (As with most cuts that are recorded in different venues over a span of time, some sound better). (The other is "Lay Lady Lay").

On "GFTNC": From the very beginning, it is apparent from the very first hit on a drum, the very first guitar stroke, the very first time you hear a vocal, that the transient response is on a whole different level. This may be off-putting for purists but very rewarding for those of us who enjoy such gymnastics in our own listening environment. I find it to be very rewarding!
The vocals that Bob and Johnny display are very naturally laid out. This is another pleasing aspect I find here. ( If one was to be hyper-critical, one could make the case that upon listening to this 47 year old recording that, this 45rpm lp, brings out the instruments in a way that still portrays the vocals in that other space in time.) Just an observation.

"Nashville Skyline Rag": This one just envelopes you from the beginning like never before! The bass response is very good and the music creeps around the side walls to just draw me in. Wow! I never would have expected this in my wildest dreams. Good things do come to those who wait?! (BTW, I've had this one on order since Aug. of 2013.)  Can you tell I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy?

(The first lp, came dished, so if I think upon listening that it will translate into another listen after flattening, I'll report back.) (Actually, both lps are dished)    MFSL: Are you paying attention?

"To Be Alone With You", is obviously a small step down sonically. However, it is two steps up from my original pressing.

"I Threw It All Away": Ditto from above.

"Peggy Day": The additional guitar and the upbeat pace, seems to uplift  this track from the past two, in that sense. These three songs are of lesser sound quality but compared to the original pressing, far and away better!

Side 2. No, wait, Side 3, (this is a four sided, 45rpm record, I almost forgot!)

"Lay Lady Lay": This is THE track we've all been waiting for, right? Smooth, silky, and more "studio like" in the sense that the surrounding ambience is prevalent and enjoyed by me. ( By the way, the ambient retrieval is just one more reason to have this lp in your collection!)

"One More Night", "Tell Me That It's Not True", same sonics as described above for "To Be Alone With You" & "I Threw It All Away".

"Country Pie", This track has me tapping my feet and doing the "head nod" from the very beginning! It is a more upbeat song and sonically, a notch above the last several tracks. It just ends too soon..

"Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You": I have to say this one is in keeping with the last track in that it is more open, present that some of the past tracks.

This has been a fun time listening to the differences in this lp as described above. I hope you will take it for what it's worth and decide for yourself if you're willing to pay a premium for the positive aspects of this lp, vs. the high price and the fact that it will need flattening.

Now, bdp24, I'll be re-listening to my copies of "No Mercy" as it use to be my "go to" lp for sonics, a VERY long time ago. I know things change, but I'll report back.

I hope you all have found this enlightening?

( My senior moment... I was going to re-read my post before actually posting, but I decided that any mistakes in spelling would be relegated to a AARP moment, and all will understand.

Cheers! Now back to listening.
bdp24:,

I'm currently listening to my OP of "No Mercy".

It is not in any way offensive. I do find it now, more "upfront", in it's presentation, than most lps.

If you need/want to hear a poor sounding lp, try Drive By Truckers "English Oceans" on ATO label. Now, that will get your blood boiling!!!

THE MOST POOR SOUNDING LP IN MY RECENT EXPERIENCE!

I'd love to hear this lp in another, more positive light.
bdp24:, I'm glad to report that my memory of "Oh Mercy" jives with my current listening. It is a great sounding LP!!

I have no idea of your reference.