Why is 2 Channel better than multi-channel?

I hear that the music fidelity of a multi-channel AV Receiver/Integrated amp can never match the sounds produced by a 2 channel system. Can someone clearly explain why this is so?

I'm planning to upgrade my HT system to try and achieve the best of both worlds, I currently have a 3 channel amp driving my SL, SR, C and a 2 channel amp driving my L and R.
I have a Denon 3801 acting as my pre. Is there any Pre/Proc out there that can merge both worlds with out breaking my bank? Looking for recommendations on what my next logical steps should be? Thanks in advance.
springowl
The so called "sweet spot" is the quite small listening location where the two speakers of a stereo system produce a very convincing "phantom" image of a centered soloist. In a multichannel system there is no need for a "phantom" image because there is a real image in the center speaker. And this real image does not move or disappear when the listener moves around the room. Consequently the notion of a "sweet spot" does not apply.

Interestingly when you have been using a center speaker as long as I have the "phantom" effect becomes a bit tiresome, like an old parlor trick. At one time I used Bob Carver's "sonic holography" preamps, and this was like the phantom image trick on steroids! The effect was amazing, but if you moved your head a few inches...poof. Not really conducive to listening to music.
Landok,

"The idea of being able to adjust the sweet spot to your liking hints at creating imbalances within the system."

Well in audiophile terms this would be like using speaker cable to change the sound, the fact that a simple press of a button facilitates change is actually a wonderful thing...well it is when you know what you're doing trust me ;)

I don't have the time to bring you up to speed, but I know what I can do with a surround system would bend you mind to a very uncomfortable angle. Because all of the things you are so certain are true would suddenly be challenged.

People who can setup surround see oppurtunity where you and other 2 channel traditionalist see obstacles.

Surround is not over rated, it is under utilized and in your case simply not understood at its basic level. Keep in mind that I don't listen to discrete multi-channel Cd's I listen too two channel CD's in surround (TMS, Trifield, DPL2) and let me note that my multi-channel systems can play two channel in the same league as ANY two channel system.

I state that just to make you understand that I'm not speaking to you with my 2 year old Denon surround sound system as my primary experience. I have had and technically still do have a very high end 2 channel systems. Probably better than yours.
Eldartford,
I think that you are thinking along the same lines as I do in terms of the perception of the sweet spot, and I hasten to add that the sweet spot also contributes immensely to the dimentionality of the perceived sound. You certainly can discern the soloist in the middle but also the attendant musical instruments that provide the beat and rhythm of the music. Because of this dimentionality the depth and width of the soundstage is also perceived. The presence of a center speaker only serve to stabilize the central location of vocals and dialogues because it is really meant to synchronize with the image on a screen. From a musical only perspective I am convinced that 2 channel sound is superior to any multi channel sound because of the central phantom image that it delivers. Multi channel sound delivers plenty of great sounds but sadly with minimal cohesion. It tends to be a slam_bam_thank_you_mam presentation.
Landok...I disagree about your theory that a center speaker is good only for centered sound. The center speaker can combine with a left or right speaker to create a phantom halfway between. For example, if in a matrix multisound system the Center is driven with L+R, the L image will appear between L and C, with the same panorama of sound that can be created with stereo. Likewise for R and C. Of course if, as is often the case, the center speaker is inferior to the others results will be degraded.
Eldartford,

But why fool around with a center speaker if it has the potential of degrading the sound of a recorded material? What purpose does a center speaker provide then other than more clarity of oral discourse or dissertation that is in synch with the performers on the screen? Why would one even consider the images coming from between L and C and R with the use of a center speaker in a matrix modality? Good to excellent soundstaging of one's 2 channel system will give you all those images without muddying it.