Best mellow sounding 12ax7 for Thor TA-1000 preamp

I just bought  Thor TA-1000 and am very impressed with the resolution but want it to be more mellow sounding... Darker and less treble emphasis. Can anyone recommend the most musical but mellow/organic 12ax7 for the Thor? When I bought it the unit has telefunkens. The outputs are already mullards so I am focused on the inputs.

It is feeding vtl mb-185 signature amps and quad esl63 with vandersteen 2wq subs.

Thanks!
montaldo
(RCA "clear tops" generally refer to their 12AU7's, 6201's are a substitute for 12AT7's) ...since the Thor TA-1000 has plenty of gain, I use black plate 5751's with their lower gain in mine. Telefunkens are generally thought to be "brighter" and better for older vintage equipment.

-  As an aside, a knowledgeable friend compared black plate vs. grey plated tubes and could not hear much of a difference. 

Ha. Knowledgeable friend he have cloth ears! All tubes have their own unique sound. E.g. Sylvania 5751 Gold with grey plates sound a world away from GE black plates. I second JJS for a warmer darker sound. You will lose detail over the Teles  though.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by "no difference between black plate vs. grey plate", too.  I hear very clear differences between Sylvania black plates and grey plates; same thing for GE black plates and grey plates.

For the preamp adjustment the OP is addressing, I would think 5751 RCA Black Plate triple micas would be a nice fit.  I find them to be richer, but still have good enough detail and extension.
Ok. I stand corrected. That's what these forum are for....to get to the truth of the matter.
Cheers,
Truman
I own a Thor TA1000 Mk II and its one of the best preamps I ever owned. I did have to do some tweaking to add some warmth but at no time was it ever bright or harsh. It's very detailed and with excellent separation and air but to add some warmth I am using Brimar 12AT7s and RCA 5751 Triple micra Black Plates. also add a good power cord, I am using Cardas Golden Reference. Also Amperex 12AX7 Bugle Boys are a good choice. Also a good choice for the 12AT7s.
Remove the Telefunkens.