New receiver

A friend of mine needs a new receiver. He has 5.1 and I don't see that changing. He currently has a Onkyo that has given up and broken down for the third time. Not sure of the model, definitely not too expensive. Using Def Tec speakers that are mounted on the wall.I am guessing he would like to pay about a grand, maybe a little more if warranted. 4k pass thru is good as displays are changing every minute. Suggestions would be terrific!

Thank You
pinto72
Thanks for all of the responses. My friend is a very... simple guy and the all in one box is the answer. He also doesn't have anything even remotely elaborate for speakers. Probably going to go denon 4200.
Mtrot? I jest of course (unless u were Zd542, in which case u deserve crucifiction!! :-) ). Glad it's sounding good for u of course. (U do get more dynamics , quieter noise floor n better separation, usually, n more refinement n such w better pre's. That's all. .when ur ready)
As for this guys Receiver options, again, im recommending the biggest baddest latest piece he can find at ur max budget , then also make sure features you just cannot live without are included n great if u can get a warranty!! (Yup n id make sure room EQ).
Good luck
Our old Denon is starting to fail and I have been looking for a USED av receiver for around $500 + -   for our TV and movie watching. After research I have narrowed it down to these models...Onkyo NR TX 838
Yamaha RXA 1020 and Denon 3313ci all seem to have a load of features I may or may not use plus plenty of power.